World Cup 2010

Pangloss

Pangloss (Wait, what?) Today, 9:26 AM #1

ModeratorWorld Cup 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First the colonies, now that goal. Is there anything that won't slip through your fingers, England?

Have to believe that was an Aussie having a go at someone from: Bristol or Bermingham,

perhaps? And you still regard us as "The Colonies" Tsk-Tsk!!

Have to believe that was an Aussie having a go at someone from: Bristol or Bermingham,

perhaps? And you still regard us as "The Colonies" Tsk-Tsk!!

eh? pangloss is floridian. and the UK had more colonies than austrailia.

Also, the forum has a quote button or you can use quote tags [ quote] [ /quote] (without the spaces)

to quote someone. it looks better and it is more obvious where one persons comments end and anothers begin.

eh? pangloss is floridian. and the UK had more colonies than austrailia.

Also, the forum has a quote button or you can use quote tags [ quote] [ /quote] (without the spaces)

to quote someone. it looks better and it is more obvious where one persons comments end and anothers begin.

I know you're just poking fun Insane Guy. I've only been into computers for about six months or so and not quite acculimated yet. But in fact, I thought he was talking about the 13 original colonies here in the U.S.

Edited by rigney
Consecutive posts merged.

I know you're just poking fun Insane Guy. I've only been into computers for about six months or so and not quite acculimated yet. But in fact, I thought he was talking about the 13 original colonies here in the U.S.
I think you're reading a little too much into a joke. England let in a equaliser that maybe they could have prevented, thus they get mocked for it, that's how football works.

As it seems the NY Post, has very bad memory, since in the 1950 World Cup held at Brazil, the USA with an amateur team managed to defeat the English professional team by 1-0. By then the English team was considered unbeatable and with this defeat, they said an early bye-bye to that years World Cup, the first for the country that created this wonderfull game.>:D

Well Australia got trounced 4-nil, although I was expecting a loss against Germany. Can't expect much better with a coach that doesn't seem to give a toss, and a poorly selected team, and then to top it off with some terrible referee work and an obvious hand ball in front of goal by germany that was not penalised. Sigh...it's all part of the game, but seriously some balanced reffing sure would be nice. Red carding our best striker for a really minor infringement was a really terrible call.

Also just FYI Australia is part of the British empire...

And the American team is pretty darn good this year, I think they're in with a chance to get at least to 2nd round.

Mexican referee`s are famous for acting very strictly, according to the rules of the game, on their calls, so they are the type of referee`s most liked by FIFA, and Marco A. Rodriguez, wasn`t an exception. He was very strict against the players of both teams, but unfortunately Australia got the worst part of it, being decisive in some of his calls during that game, but at the end, Germany would have won anyhow, they were far more superior. Mexican referee`s, usually don`t take no "crap" from no one, even some of the most famous players aren`t inmune to their calls. Maradona, Henry, Zidane and Ronaldinho, have found out harshly about this fact in past world cup matches.

This should be a lesson for players of all teams, when a Mexican referee is in charge of their games, you have to play strictly to the book. :eyebrow:

Oh yeah sure, I agree that he was pretty strict to both teams, he even yellow carded a german stricker for faking a fall. Which was good to see.

I notice that the Aussies don't often take a 'dive' in fact they will often play on despite their ankle being all but snapped in two, this is our tradition with most sports, if you can keep going, you do. But I think this may actually be a huge weakness of the aussie team in soccer. We need to start doing this as the theatrics are part of the game. But you say the mexican ref made all good calls and I have to disagree, there was an obvious handball he didn't call right in front of goal. It didn't look particularly deliberate on behalf of the german, but it was absolutely a hand ball, and it was not called despite protests by the Aussies. Also the red card was not really 'by the book' had he played it by the book it would have at worst been a yellow, as the player quite obivously retracted his tags etc and there was as minimal contact as possible, he played at the ball, and safely without tags exposed - although he fouled by causing the contact, he by no means deserved a red, and the replay clearly shows him attempt to pull out of the tackle but he was just too far committed to be able to miss hitting the player, he did however tuck his feet under so his tags weren't exposed.

It's easy I guess to be an armchair ref, with the benefit of a replay to boot, but still at this level you would hope these kind of calls were minimal. Not only that but a red card puts our player out for the next match. It was a very harsh penalty and there seemed to be a lacking of balance in the match when handballs and other fouls in front of goal were ignored. this particular ref handed out 9 yellows and 3 reds in a world cup match last time...he's particularly known to be heavy handed with cardings...

and so for Rodriguez I produce this for his efforts.

mzl_neicsxxm_320x480-75.jpg

Ha, ha, ha, :D.

No, don`t get me wrong my friend, I think that his participation in that particular game wasn`t afortunate at all, and I also said that Australia got the worst part of it, but I tried to stand a point in reference to Mexican referee`s.

You see, they have been in many matches involving Chilean teams before and most of the times, we (Chileans), get the worst part from them too, so I try to understand this coincidence, and being objective, I get the conclussion that we aren`t precisely the models for fair play, and worse yet, we should be granted the Oscar`s Academy award with emphasis for faking skills in football (soccer), outdating our all time masters from the other side of the Andes mountains (:D), fact by which doesn`t give me any pride, but also the reason by which, has been argumented that we deserve it. So I can`t stop emphatizing with those who have suffered a similar kind of abusive treatment, in any game.

With this in mind, it has come to my understanding, that precisely Mexican referee`s, are some of the best referee`s in the world, who, as an institution, are very good in doing their job. One of the most dificult jobs of the world, where despite a great job done during 88 minutes of a game, are very easy forgot after one or two bad calls, against any particular team, in this World cup match, both against the Australian team. In the case of the red card, Imho, I don`t think that the referee made the call only due to that particular action, but also to other past actions in the game done by the same player, actions that weren`t punished as well.

Yep. So much for the FIFA rankings. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future success.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
But you say the mexican ref made all good calls and I have to disagree, there was an obvious handball he didn't call right in front of goal. It didn't look particularly deliberate on behalf of the german, but it was absolutely a hand ball, and it was not called despite protests by the Aussies.

It looked very non-deliberate to me. You have to remember that the foul is not handball. That a player touched the ball with his hand (which in soccer starts just below the shoulder) is not enough. The name of the foul is handling the ball. The touch has to be made with intent. The referee has to try to read the player's mind.

One obvious way to intentionally handle the ball is to swat it down and gain advantage off of the bounce. The Hand of God goal, for example. Doing this requires some distance between the kick and this kind of intentional handling of the ball. As spectacular as pros are, even they have limitations on reaction time. There is no way that even the best player can intentionally smack down a ball kicked at pace from a short distance away. That said, a player could stick his hands out and hope that the ball will hit his hands -- and that too indicates intent. When inside the penalty box, a defensive player has to go out of his way to indicate he did not intend to handle the ball. In this case, Mertesacker appeared to be acting properly. His hands were not intentionally placed in the way, and he tried to get them out of the way from a ball kicked at pace from a short distance. The contact was incidental; no foul.

As far as the red card for Cahill: Prior to the onset of every World Cup, FIFA announces to the refs and to the rest of the world those behaviors that FIFA very much wants not want to see. Last time around it was simulations. This time it is serious fouls. Too many players have been injured lately from tackles from behind. Late tackles from behind have always been noted as a serious foul in the rules but refs have not always treated them as such. This time around the refs were notified to watch for such fouls. Cahill made a late tackle from behind. Red card.

That result wasn`t unsuspected, it was a probable score.

The other result is probably the biggest upset in this whole WC, I don`t even think that even among the Swiss, considered it possible before. At most, a draw. :)

CHILE 1 - 0 Honduras :cool:

Spain 0 - 1 Switzerland :doh:

Who`d imagine it before the games were played ?:eek::)

16 out of 20 people in my betting group (for a win by Chile' date=' not necessarily the exact result).[/quote']

I don't think Rickdog was talking about Chile v. Honduras when he asked "who'd imagine it ..." That Chile would beat Honduras was the expected result. That the Swiss would beat the Spaniards -- that was a Swiss pipe dream. Sometimes one's dreams do come true!

I can't tell you how happy it made me to see the Suisse stick it to Spain!

Great result, Spain was a little unlucky but I think the Swiss team deserved it.

The swiss will be happy with that it's the first time in 18 internationals they've ever beaten Spain...

Awesome result and now spain will have to work to get out of their group so it might blow the top contenders right open if they lose a 2nd.

I don't think Rickdog was talking about Chile v. Honduras when he asked "who'd imagine it ..." That Chile would beat Honduras was the expected result.

Guess not realizing that explains why I am on place 20 :embarass:

As it seems, by the hand of South American teams, goals in this World Cup are back.

Uruguay 3 - 0 South Africa (yesterday noon)

Argentina 4 - 1 South Korea (today, recently finished)

My congratulations to both.

:cool:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

WOW !!! :eek:

Todays results :

Germany 0 - 1 Serbia

Eslovenia 2 - 2 USA

USA started loosing in the first half by 0-2, and at the second half they made 2 goals and with 2 minutes to finish the game the referee decided the the score was already fair, so he decided to "smug" a completely valid goal that the USA just did. :mad:

You really got to ask the referee, why did he invalid that goal, because there`s no explanation to it.:confused: