1. 1. What is your eye dominance?

• Left handed, left dominant eye
    • Left handed, right dominant eye
    • Right handed right dominant eye
    • Right handed left dominant eye
    • Ambidextrous, left dominant eye
    • Ambidestrous, right dominant eye
    • Other (please explain)

I'm trying to do this as a poll - got no clue if it will work.

I would like to everyone to tell me which is their dominant eye, and if it corresponds to their "handedness".

Here is how you do the test:

Find a vertical line to sight to - a door jam works well.

Extend either hand in front of you with the index finger extended.

With both eyes open, align your index finger with the vertical line.

Close your left eye and open your right eye - did your finger stay in line with the vertical line?

Close your right eye and open your left eye - did your finger stay in line with the vertical line.

In one instance, your finger will appear to "jump" in one direction or the other.

The vertical line will appear to remain stationery behind your dominant eye.

In most cases, people's dominant eye corresponds to their "handedness".

Here are the questions for the poll.

Are left handed with a dominant left eye?

Are you left handed with a dominant right eye?

Are you right handed with a dominant right eye?

Are you right handed with a dominant left eye?

Are you ambidextrous with a dominant right eye?

Are you ambidextrous with a dominant left eye?

In most cases, a person's dominant eye will be on the same side as their hand preference.

There are many reasons for not attempting to change a person's "handedness", one of the biggest being that you cannot change eye dominance. In skills that require a combination of handedness and sight - ie shooting a gun or a bow and arrow, or even batting a baseball, if the dominant eye is not the same as the dominant hand, there will be an error in sighting.

That's me.

I was taught archery right handed, later, when I joined an archery club I learned about the eye dominance thing - I learned to compensate for the visual error.

I am terrible at baseball and soft ball - can't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. I could always pitch pretty well though.

My favorite sport is tennis - I haven't played in quite a while and ought to get back into it. At least one doesn't have to buy a left handed tennis racket. I think being left handed gives one a bit of an advantage, as you tend to hit to a right handed person's back hand.

Oh - and look how many people are right handed with a left dominant eye. I wonder how many are natural southpaws? Right handed parents naturally encourage their children to be right handed.

My parents were both lefthanded, although my mother (born in 1907 in England) was forced to change by having her left hand tied behind her back. Whenever my parents were doing the teaching, I was taught left handed.

im all right, footed, handed, eyed! all on the right...

how do you become right/left wtvred, is it genetic? i heard that it can change, so if you gave a baby stuff to its right hand, it becomes right handed, and the same with the left hand. but i might be wrong, is there a difference?

are there connections between whether you are left or right something-ed and any other things, like right hand = certain disease? or left eyed = short sighted?

It is said that left handed people are more accident prone, but I attribute that mostly to living in a right handed world. For example, pots often have a pour lip on only one side - a left hand person has to either use the wrong hand or pour it backwards - both cases make it easy to get burned.

Another good way to test this is to make a triangle with both hands by overlapping your thumbs and the top half of your fingers. The triangle should be small enough so that you can see with only one eye when your hands are next to your face. Pick an object 10 feet or so away and look through the traingle at your target. Keep both eyes open and move the triangle towards your face while looking at the target. Your triangle end up over your dominant eye.

I'm right handed and left eyed.

Oooops, in that case I messed up :((

I`m right eye dominant as the image doesn`t move with the right <insert embarrased look>

but I`m still Ambidexterous (Equi-manual).

[edit] I`ve altered my poll vote accordingly, so the results are still accurate :)

a lot of people make that mistake.

infact it is highly unlikely that twice as many people are "Right handed left dominant eye" rather than "Right both"

i think it is possible that many people made that same mistake and thats why possibly the results aren't that accurate

Right handed but when focused on a point 2.5m away I see two fingers and the image moves right with left eye and left with right eye if I center the focus point between finger images. Sorry can't vote due to option limits. REPEATED TEST WITH FINGER THUMB LOOP. When using right hand left eye becomes dominant, when using left hand right eye becomes dominant. I think my brain automaticaly favoured least obstructed view. I don't know if this is any more help than the first go but I tried sorry.

I don't know' date=' coquina. It would appear, so far at least by the survey, that the theory is wrong.

How do you account for this?[/quote']

I can't account for the results shown here - other than to suspect that there are a lot of "closet southpaws" around.

So - lets do another poll.

Tried triangle. It fits my nose quite well. :D I would say that the triangle one may have varying results due to the fact that the dominant hand would tend to support the weak hand slightly. This may lead to the dominant hand pulling the other to the dominant side. Just a thought I'll shut up now.