Dextrin

Stusi

I have heard of making dextrin but cant really figure out what it's for. I assume it's a binding agent in black powder, but does it affect the explosive properties of your BP or is it just to make it a "solid"? Also does it become solid like a rocket engine or like playdough?

I have heard of making dextrin but cant really figure out what it's for. I assume it's a binding agent in black powder, but does it affect the explosive properties of your BP or is it just to make it a "solid"? Also does it become solid like a rocket engine or like playdough?

it is.

it doesn`t.

it`s just like solid rocket fuel, it`s not like putty.

it`s mainly used for making stars, it`s rarely used with BP alone :)

Oh ok, so is it just used in stars to hold the components of the stars together?

Also...used as water soluble glues, as thickening agents in food processing, and as binding agent in pharmaceuticals

so basically, its used as a sort of coagulant.

Oh ok, so is it just used in stars to hold the components of the stars together?

yup, the powder components are mixed with a little dexrin (you don`t need much) then a little water (sometimes water alcohol mix) and the whole lot mixed together, it`s like a firm putty at this stage, then small amount are rolled into balls and allowed to dry, when dry they`re like little rocks :)

these are then loaded into a shell with a bursting charge in the center and a fuse. when launched (rocket or mortar) the fuse ignites the bursting charge after a fixed delay, the heat from this ignites the stars. the stars fall back towards earth burning up as they do in a variety of different colors, depending on the chems you made them with :)