Does HCl (g) dissolve in dilute H2SO4?

ercdndrs

Looking for a simple and straightforward answer to a question of the same type :)

I'm trying to make hydrochloric acid from NaCl and H2SO4. When I added them together (acid was ~94% conc.) the result was hot, foamy acid everywhere and hydrochloric acid fumes filling the room.

I'd like to keep my HCl dissolved so I can practically distill it. Does this happen or does sulphuric acid force the HCl out of solution?

Your reaction is actually an equilibrium shift, so you have concentrated sulfuric acid, chloride binds with proton and form HCl, as the H3O+ concentration is high equilirium position favors HCl side so HCl gas comes out. If you pump the gas to a dilute solution, position would be less intended to the HCl side so more will be dissolved.

Alright, thanks for the answers. I tried it out; what I saw was tiny bubbles of HCl forming, then rapidly being absorbed into solution. Also, my H2SO4 is buffered (drain cleaner >:/ ), so it is not all that nasty as it reacts quite slowly ;)