Ideas

EugeneK

If we all concentrate on something at the same time, it will happen!

E=MC2, so, with enough energy, matter can be created or changed. Reply with what you would like people to concentrate on and when.

Bring Jesus back at 7:00 PM Central Standard Time on Wednesday, June 9, 2010.

Can breathing purified oxygen make us live forever?

Wikipedia says that oxygen is the number one source of cell metabolism. It also says that when oxygen was discovered as a purer air, it made mice live longer. Breathing pure oxygen gives us much more energy and since we are using some of that energy to regenerate all the time, anyway, then, wouldn't more energy make us regenerate forever?

yeah, i heard oxygen acts as free radicals inside our bodies causing havoc to every single cell, tissue and organ. It is even suspected of being the cause of aging and death! However foods high in antioxidants such as vitamin C help neutralise some of these, thereby making live longer! Woohoo! Go free radicals! >:D

Some people argue that new ideas can be created. But perhaps that falls in the realm of metaphysics.

I don´t believe new ideas can be created, I think there is no such thing as pure originality. But I do believe old ideas or notions can be looked at in new, different and innovative ways therefore enabling us to discover new findings.

If we all concentrate on something at the same time, it will happen!

It would help if we also act on things rather than just meditating.

E=MC2, so, with enough energy, matter can be created or changed. Reply with what you would like people to concentrate on and when.

Right, but generally we do the reverse, turning matter into energy in fission reactors (nuclear power plants) and also in fusion reactors (the sun, mostly).

A human uses about 100 Watts. Or about 0.0000001 grams worth of matter per day. Or a bit more more if you eat more than 2000 Calories.

Can breathing purified oxygen make us live forever?

No, but it can kill you due to oxidative stress. Oxygen is incredibly toxic to all living organisms; fortunately we have enzymes and antioxidants to protect us. Too much oxygen will do nasty things to you. (But at low pressure you could breathe more concentrated oxygen but get the same amount).

• 1 month later...

If oxygen is responsible for aging, wouldn't running, jogging or any cardiovascular fitness exercise make you age faster?

Exercise doesn't increase the amount of oxygen running around in your system -- you might be breathing harder, but you're using up the oxygen as soon as you inhale it. (Our breathing reflex is tied to how much CO2 is in the bloodstream.) Exercise also stimulates a whole bunch of other good things, so even if the added oxygen use hurts you, I'm sure it'll be balanced out by you not having congestive heart failure at 57...