Music: What gets you rockin?

Thales

I guess I don't like being told what I like by the record companies.

i think that is the same with everyone. people listen to the music that they want to listen to. i listen to these bands because i like there music, not because they are 'mainstream'. anyway, here in ireland, bands like limp bizcut, springsteen and kanye west are not exactly what you would call mainstream!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list is what I consider corporate mind sludge.

Talkin tough and actin out like a gangsta Is not reality.

Real smart stuff there. Here it'll only be mocked.

My personal feelings is that rap/hip hop is the death of real musicians in the popular scene because they seized it with there stupid attitudes' date=' crack money and so forth which if I say anymore I'll get warned by Phi for all who loves the warning thing so there ya go. I suggest changing your listening habits, I did in oh, eighth grade.[/quote']

Thanks for the 'advice' but i think i won't be changing my listen habits.

i'm quite happy being one of a few irish guys that listens to rap!

p.s. you get a warning when you desrve a warning, not because a mod likes to give them out!!

• 2 weeks later...

what the hell do you people have against Linkin Park?

*I may have also forgot these -

DMX, because I know what it's like to be angry. lol.

Obie Trice - because they've gotta have teeth.

Some Eminem, just because he actually is a good rapper, and his rhymes are somewhat intelligent and insightful (Rather than the "Ima Thuggggsta, BIOTCH" rap)

I like Twista too because he has some real talent!

Anyone else here listen to Techno/Future trance/Dance........

My current favorites would be

XTM - The power of love

M-Plax - The wave

Scooter - One always Hardcore

All of DJ Rankins songs (well most of them at least)

• 2 years later...
Guest outforkill

ummm lets say for talking

Swallow The Sun - Chimaira - Caliban - Metallica - Iron Maiden - Savatage - Scorpions - and Gary Moore until the end

Scorpions wrote some cool songs I thought, considering the pitiful 80's mainstream rock culture...of which I was a part :doh:

Radiohead - Pink Floyd - Dio - Iron Mainden - Old Metallica - Beatles - Zeppelin - Mars Volta - Muse...other stuff like that..I tend to go through genre phases and right now Radiohead's new 'In Rainbows' is stuck in my head.

necromancer.jpg

Necormancer has a supernatural ability to bring long-dead forum discussion threads back to life. After having been flogged to death the thread may have been deceased for many years, and bringing it back may have scant relevance to the current topic, yet Necromancer will unexpectedly exhume the thread’s rotting corpse, and strike horror in the forum as its grotesque form lurches into the discussion. The monster, instantly recognized by all who knew it in life, seems at first to breathe and have a pulse, but, alas, it is beyond Necromancer’s skill to fully restore the thread’s original vitality. The hideous apparition may frighten away some of the weaker Warriors or Warriors badly wounded in former battles, but the thread is only a shadow of its former self and very quickly expires.

Unlike Archivist, Necromancer compulsively saves every forum message in carefully preserved archives for future use in battle, while Necromancer collects departed threads merely for the thrill of resurrecting them. Some say he performs this unnatural act out of malice, others say he can’t help himself, but no one really knows.

My 'inner stereo' gets pretty good reception --lots of singing and chirping, gongs (now and then). But I usually listen to stuff as I play it -Elton John, Bach, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Queen, David Bowie, Beatles, Steely Dan, the usual suspects (and nowhere near the whole list). Even a dash of Tschaikovsky and Greig (but it's bloody hard). Sometimes I can hear several tunes (without playing them) sort of simultaneously, it's a bit hard to describe.

Since I learned how to "tune in" to the one I already have, I can say my musical appreciation has gone up considerably (but I haven't got a big collection of albums, just sheet music mostly) since I discovered how to listen to the inner 'music'... And I'm keen on pretty much anything melodic or emotive (external recording-wise). Interestingly, I can hear classical stuff in a lot of modern music

BION :)

P.S. And I like Radiohead (earlier), Rage against.., etc (I flatted with a boot-boy for a while once), even (some) rap. Linkin Park leaves me a bit unmoved, I prefer Chemical Bros. (and I don't think that much of them).

I would have to say that 4 or 5 of my top ten songs of all time come from RADIOHEAD.

Not many people appreciate how brilliant they actually are!! (they are usually the same people who like Good Charlotte or Avril Lavigne)

i lurrrve radiohead :)

I'm trying to get it together with Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto at the mo, and I can't quite 'hear' it yet. It's actually easier to learn than I got the impression from others about how difficult it is.

It's very expressive and it's challenging to play it with "apassionatto", but being a student of deBussy helps a little...

I would have to say that 4 or 5 of my top ten songs of all time come from RADIOHEAD.

Not many people appreciate how brilliant they actually are!! (they are usually the same people who like Good Charlotte or Avril Lavigne)

I don't actively dislike Radiohead. I certainly don't understand people's obsession with them. You can certainly say I don't appreciate how "brilliant they are." There's a few songs I like... Creep... High and Dry...

Radiohead tries to be experimental prog rock.

My favorite band is the greatest experimental prog rock band of all time... Pink Floyd.

I like a lot of other prog too:

King Crimson

Yes

Jethro Tull

Frank Zappa

Genesis

Dream Theater

Umphrey's McGee

My favorite band is the greatest experimental prog rock band of all time... Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd is definitely on my short list and oddly enough, Animals is probably my favorite album of theirs. Obviously David Gilmour's guitar work is inspiring but I've always admired his vocal style too.

And I thought the 'big bang' for Radiohead obsessives was the No Computer album. Their contribution to the genre is really only notable after No Computer; Kid A and Amnesiac are strange albums on initial listens, with oddly timed, yet beautiful chord progressions, but hook you after a couple times...forever...and ever...

Pink Floyd is definitely on my short list and oddly enough, Animals is probably my favorite album of theirs.

Meek and obedient you follow the leader down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel! Such an overlooked album. I was just listening to that a couple weeks ago. :D

Obviously David Gilmour's guitar work is inspiring but I've always admired his vocal style too.

Bah, he's no Roger Waters. He is one of the all-time great guitarists, though. Have you ever seen the "Dark Side of the Moon" documentary? It's a new feature made just a few years ago with some great interviews and some great parts where Gilmour goes over some of his solos in detail for the camera. A must for any Floyd fan. You can rent it from Netflix.

I briefly dated one of Water's g/f's back in the '80s, btw. Ain't I somethin'? :D

That's a great list. Why no ELP?

Forgot 'em. Must've been too much Brain Salad Surgery.

I'm not sure why, but I always liked Meddle a bit more.

I think most non-casual Floyd fans prefer Meddle.

Might have something to do with Echoes...

...and One of these Days...

...and a Pillow of Winds... and Fearless... and San Tropez...

...but hopefully not Seamus

Leave it to Floyd to torture a dog in the name of music

Bah, he's no Roger Waters. He is one of the all-time great guitarists, though. Have you ever seen the "Dark Side of the Moon" documentary? It's a new feature made just a few years ago with some great interviews and some great parts where Gilmour goes over some of his solos in detail for the camera. A must for any Floyd fan. You can rent it from Netflix.

It's been a while, but yes I have seen that and as a musician it was really cool seeing Gilmour play his riffs and go over his techniques on that album.

I briefly dated one of Water's g/f's back in the '80s, btw. Ain't I somethin'?

You're definitely something... :eyebrow:

I'm not sure why, but I always liked Meddle a bit more.

Meddle is great. Funny, because I've never really known the name of the songs as I burned it on a CD and so I just know that Tracks 1, 2 and 6 are my favorites. As for the tortured dog....maybe a prelude to the future work of Animals?

Also, have any of you Floydians heard any live versions of Echos? For some reason, I really like the live version better - or at least the one I have - maybe because the guitar is more ballsy. I love the whole half-stap run riff he does in that song and it's a lot more pronounced.