Firefox vs Internet Explorer

inamorata

When I click on a link in Outlook, I get two windows in Firefox. When I open a window in Explorer (which I have to use for some business apps), Explorer keeps asking me if I want it to be my default browser. Even though I say no, if I then click a link in Outlook, it opens an Explorer window anyway. :mad:

dryan, you should be able to set a default somehow. Are you running XP?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I click on a link in Outlook, I get two windows in Firefox.

Install the "single window" extension for FF.

When I open a window in Explorer (which I have to use for some business apps), Explorer keeps asking me if I want it to be my default browser.

Disable explorer's deafult browser checks in the default applications section of the control panel (under "add/remove programs").

Disable explorer's deafult browser checks in the default applications section of the control panel (under "add/remove programs").

Or if you're using XP, Start Menu -> "Set Program Access and Defaults", second column about half way down.

If it aint broke. dont fix it. thats why i have stuck with IE for about 5 years now as it hasnt given me any major problems so far. I have used various other browsers like opera mozilla/firefox netscape.. etc. while they are better than IE, i always seem to come back to IE. oh well. i will change SOMEDAY

I still use IE for windows update, and that's about it. I mainly use other browsers because they ALL have better features than IE, but even if they didn't the security concerns alone would make me avoid using it.

I used the "disable IE" function that the DoJ forced Microsoft to install. Guess what - it doesn't do anything other than remove shortcuts.

I must admit. that firefox takes longer to load up than IE in my computer

Yes, it's generally faster overall but some people seem to find it takes longer to start up.

I suspect one of the recent XP updates ensures IE preloads when windows starts, to make it seem faster than the Opera and Mozilla crowds.

Don't forget to get the essential extensions listed in one of these ff threads! AdBlocker is essential.

I suspect one of the recent XP updates ensures IE preloads when windows starts, to make it seem faster than the Opera and Mozilla crowds
It's always done that (Since Win 98, anyway). It uses much the same code as explorer, the windows shell. So by the time you load IE, most of it is already in memory.

It's always done that (Since Win 98, anyway). It uses much the same code as explorer, the windows shell. So by the time you load IE, most of it is already in memory.

yeah. noticed that. u can type in a web adress in an explorer shell, and it changes to IE ..

WHy should i get adblocker anyway?