Firefox vs Internet Explorer

inamorata

ok, this just sounds argumentative, but i promise it isnt, i've never had any spyware problems, yet there is obviously loop holes in IE, i've used IE, so why havent i got spyware over the last few years i've been using IE, well obviously spyware wasnt there a few years ago, but recently?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, this just sounds argumentative, but i promise it isnt, i've never had any spyware problems, yet there is obviously loop holes in IE, i've used IE, so why havent i got spyware over the last few years i've been using IE, well obviously spyware wasnt there a few years ago, but recently?

A combination of luck and browsing habits I suppose.

That could carry you through ok, but to be honest there are a lot more reasons to move than to stay, and the first time something does happen it is likely to be a realllllly nasty and well-devised one that gets you.

i think when i know what im doing, i'll go wit IE, like for this site, but when im google searching random things, i'll use firefox, i have noticed that firefox seems to load pages, especially images/sounds/movies slower than IE

only coz it stores all the data onto your HDD as *.tmp files, cookies and other crap which you dont really want on your system.

i can now officially add, that for me, from 1st hand experience; firefox is slower than IE, only fractionally for a site such as this [although still noticeable] firefox is especially slower at images/audio/videos.

maybe this is because of the security feature, which have to "scan" the page before loading it.

i think when i know what im doing, i'll go wit IE, like for this site, but when im google searching random things, i'll use firefox, i have noticed that firefox seems to load pages, especially images/sounds/movies slower than IE

From my experience, Firefox is far superior in both loading times (with quick load enabled) and rendering. I suppose it depends on your system.

Says who it "scans" the page? It simply will not run anything that is nasty. IE will take controls that, say, open your CD drive and execute them, while Firefox will be rendering the page and will just ignore them.

yeah, exatly, IE just lets all go. whereas firefox has to know whats good and whats bad, therefore its gotta work out whats good and whats bad, therefore its gotta look in the source code to see whats good and whats bad, this is what i meant by " 'scan' "

From my experience, Firefox is far superior in both loading times (with quick load enabled) and rendering. I suppose it depends on your system.

i cant see how it would change inter-system, even different OS would surely run it at the same speed, who knows?!

What's Quick Load and how do I enable it?

:eek:

um, i dont know, and its not in the firefox help either

it probably works by storing MORE data on your HDD in *.tmp files and cookies, you probably have this enabled, which is why you said that once you've been to a page, it loads quicker the next time. it's a waste of HDD space, at the advantage of speed. its your choice

It basically keeps mozilla.exe running all the time, even when the browser isn't open - basically the same as what IE already does. This way, bringing up a new browser window doesn't mean loading the entire application every time. I use Mozilla, don't know whether the functionality is in Firefox.

yeah, exatly, IE just lets all go. whereas firefox has to know whats good and whats bad, therefore its gotta work out whats good and whats bad, therefore its gotta look in the source code to see whats good and whats bad, this is what i meant by " 'scan' "
No. As it goes through the page and renders all of the stuff, it simply skips all of the bad. It doesn't even have commands that tell it what to do with it. It thinks that it's just stuff it doesn't need. Thus it doesn't make a difference.

Let's give an example. You're reading a book. Some people read all of the page numbers, but you are faster because you skip all of the page numbers. You don't have to "scan" for them or anything. You just skip them.

I finally downloaded and installed Firefox and am running it right now. And I have to say, so far, the speed has impressed me immensly. And the tabbed browsing, and the applications, and the themes, Im really liking this browser. I still have IE running as Ive noticed some pages wont work with Firefox, but overall, I think its great.

Thankyou :)

I finally downloaded and installed Firefox and am running it right now. And I have to say' date=' so far, the speed has impressed me immensly. And the tabbed browsing, and the applications, and the themes, Im really liking this browser. I still have IE running as Ive noticed some pages wont work with Firefox, but overall, I think its great.

Thankyou :)[/quote']

Wait until you check out mozdev. ;)

Firefox is not the problems. could you (all) lsit the sites you cannot visit.

The thing is that IE its integrated to the system, so all languajes and plug ins (many) are available for I.E.

I haven't had troubles with accessing sites in GNU/Linux Slackware with Firefox.

I finally downloaded and installed Firefox and am running it right now. And I have to say, so far, the speed has impressed me immensly.

And you havent tryied it with linux... THIS is amaizing.

• 2 weeks later...