Question about how we'd likely store oxygen in future

ForeverNoobie

This if for a science fiction novel I'm writing. I'm not much of a science nerd but I really want to get the science right so I'm probably going to ask a lot more dumb questions around here.

So my question is, If you freeze oxygen to a solid state and pressurize it to say red oxygen how much could you reduce it's volume? Do you think you could store more oxygen in a smaller space if you used some sort of chemical oxygen generator instead? like an 'oxygen candle'?

What method would most likely be used for personal breathing devices in the distant future? On one hand the oxygen candles require extremely hot exothermic reactions, but solid oxygen requires high pressures and extremely low temperatures. Which one would people most likely be carrying on their person in the future while out in space?

this is from wiki

Liquid oxygen has a density of 1.141 g/cm3 (1.141 kg/L) and is cryogenic (freezing point: 50.5 K (−368.77 °F; −222.65 °C), boiling point: 90.19 K (−297.33 °F, −182.96 °C) at 101.325 kPa (760 mmHg). Liquid oxygen has an expansion ratio of 861:1 at 20 °C (68 °F)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_oxygen

i was unable to find density of solid oxygen

but i did find this in the wiki about liquid O2

Liquid oxygen has an expansion ratio of 861:1 at 20 °C (68 °F);[1][2] and because of this, it is used in some commercial and military aircraft as a source of breathing oxygen.

How about hydrogen peroxide H2O2 (liquid) that breaks down to H2O (for a quick drink) and O2 (for breathing) using a simple catalyst. Being a liquid at room temperature, H2O2 requires little cost for exotic cryogenic or pressure containment.

Cyrogenic oxygen storage has significant hazards related to tank rupture necessitating very heavy tanks. The candles are lighter and could easily stand severe pressure changes, but poor storage/manufacturing/handling might cause explosions. Tough call. My vote would be for the candles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oxygen_generator

Edited by UC