infinity?

Guest DrBelfrey

Guest DrBelfrey

I would just like to state that the concept of Infinity does not actually exist, it is merely a device fabricated by the mind's inability to grasp the size of the universe. Everything is finite even Pi and the Universe. We havent found the end yet because our computers are made to think in terms of infinity. Time is a similar device, simply another device made by man to aid in the understanding of the 4 dimensions respectively....

Furthermore , the human race is one of pompous beings, how could anyone of us have the gall to truly believe that we are infact at the top of the genetic roster?! Please respond with any words that you would like, we are having trouble..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to associate the concept of infinity with maths. It is a concept of mathematics. Maths is an abstartct subject, nothing in maths acctualy "exsists" . You don't really talk of exsistance of "two" or "three" do you ? Hence how can you talk of "exsistance" of infinity ?These are all abstractions of the mind, which we develop / have developed to understand the natural world.

Infinity is a property/ a characteristic, you can't talk of its "exsistance". We merely tend to put certain things under the set that contains elements satisfying this property.

You could go on and on arguing that pi is finite, but it is no good unless you can fabricate a profof for it. I can't see how computers come into the picture.

Rubbish Dr.Belfrey:

1) you're being irrelevant by talking about whether infinity is real

2) If you mean pi isn't irrational you are very much mistaken and should be pummeled. Pi has been proven to be irrational, this is nothing to do with coputers calculating the nth digit of pi.

he`s making the mistake of confusing the "conceptual" with the "Actual" or real. pretty darn poor for a "Dr." !

I have no problem of seeing infinity as the biggest number possible + 1 (or even times itself if you want to be really sick, LOL).

what`s "pompus" about that? it`s a Concept/Idea nothing else :)

Furthermore[/i'] , the human race is one of pompous beings, how could anyone of us have the gall to truly believe that we are infact at the top of the genetic roster?! Please respond with any words that you would like, we are having trouble..

Well, we have the intellect and physical features to invent and produce guns, TV, cars, spaceships, etc...Unless, I see a dog commit a drive-by shooting, we have the better genes.

Furthermore ' date=' the human race is one of pompous beings, how could anyone of us have the gall to truly believe that we are infact at the top of the genetic roster?! Please respond with any words that you would like, we are having trouble..[/quote']

I agree on that point at least. How does one determine they are on top of the genetic roster? You find animals of amazing feats like flying birds, fish that swim, and that's nothing. We are all living different lifestyles right now, but who can judge who's lifestyle is the best? Just because you're the top scientist in the entire world doesn't mean you're superior to the kindergarten students who are picking their noses and playing on the swingset right now. Just because you have a mansion, a new car every year, 7 super-computers, and $50 million dollars doesn't mean you're superior to anyone else. The same applies to here.

I would just like to state that the concept of Infinity does not actually exist' date=' it is merely a device fabricated by the mind's inability to grasp the size of the universe. Everything is finite even Pi and the Universe. We havent found the end yet because our computers are made to think in terms of infinity. Time is a similar device, simply another device made by man to aid in the understanding of the 4 dimensions respectively....

[i']Furthermore[/i] , the human race is one of pompous beings, how could anyone of us have the gall to truly believe that we are infact at the top of the genetic roster?! Please respond with any words that you would like, we are having trouble..

im sorry but is there another pompous being??? Do u consider lammas pontifical? The universe may not be infinite, but mathmatics sure is...numbers just keep going my friend. There is no HIGHEST number, you can just add another decimal place, or integer...IT NEVER ENDS

I would just like to state that the concept of Infinity does not actually exist' date=' it is merely a device fabricated by the mind's inability to grasp the size of the universe. Everything is finite even Pi and the Universe. We havent found the end yet because our computers are made to think in terms of infinity. Time is a similar device, simply another device made by man to aid in the understanding of the 4 dimensions respectively....

[i']Furthermore[/i] , the human race is one of pompous beings, how could anyone of us have the gall to truly believe that we are infact at the top of the genetic roster?! Please respond with any words that you would like, we are having trouble..

hate to be mean, but thats the most retardulous thing i have ever heard, including the word "retardulous".

how can their be no such thing as "infinity"? you want something infinite? the number of digits in the largest number possible. give me any number and i can add on another digit..

Well, how can you have the number of digits in "the largest number possible"? you can't have the largest number in a numerical sense because I can always add 1 to it and shove it back at you. Hence, we can't say infinity is a specific number - we can only use it in a conceptual context.

with no infinity, everything must be finite, in particular the set of natural numbers is finite, hence there must be a largest one. what is it mr troll?

if I`m not mistaken "Infinity" works at the other end too. but the amount something may be divided, and so from there everything is actualy relative :)

C and Aleph Null I think it`s called and has something to do with Cantors Continuem (I could be wrong though).

Dont you mean the proof that the set of real numbers is actually bigger than that of natural numbers. Meaning there are different "degrees" of infinity, i.e., Both sets are infinite, but one is actually bigger then the other.

The size of the natural numbers, its cardinal is called [math]\aleph_0[/math] and the cardinal of the real numbers is [math]\mathfrak{C}[/math].

Mandrake

some things are infinite, whilsts others are finite.

infinite things do exist. pi, the universe, are so vast they are considered infinite, however something infinity is beyond the human mind. to a human, everything has a start / end. its a human thing. it is hard for the human mind to actually imagine something which just goes on forever, which is where our "Dr" seems to have gone wrong. infinty does exist, think of a recurring number.

Though you can represent recurring numbers with only a finite number of them :)

I dont think this DrBelfrey could write down pi with only a finite number of decimals, though following his arguments he should be able to .

I think it is more hard to find an example of infinity without referring to numbers/math constructions though ? Any idea ?

Mandrake