Cyanide

Zolar V

It's For an experiment, I want to take the Metal Cyanide and react it with something so the metal falls out of the solution, then take the (something) cyanide and react it with a solution of Silver oxide and .. something that is going to react with the cyanide.

I did a similar experiment with Silver Nitrate and Copper sulfate. where i made a silver tree off of a copper starter rod. It was pretty cool, but now my silver is all oxidized.

I dont know if this would work. Maybe its a bad idea.Try reacting an aqueous solution of sodium chloride and an aqueous solution of sodium argentocyanide.

[ce]NaCl + Na[Ag(CN)2] -> 2NaCN + AgCl[/ce]

the silver chloride would precipitate.

225mg of sodium chloride and 704mg of sodium argentocyanide and would give you 200mg of sodium cyanide

Edited by Physicsfan

• 2 weeks later...

Cyanide are the salts of hydrocyanic acid and are among the most poisonous substances known.If you've got some potassium cyanide, or know where you can get some, then the following method may prove valuable.I did a similar experiment with Silver Nitrate and Copper sulfate. where i made a silver tree off of a copper starter rod. It was pretty cool, but now my silver is all oxidized.

• 3 months later...

I havn't done stoich in such a long time so bear with me.

i was thinking about taking my silver oxide and reacting it with the sodium cyanide.

the result should be silver nitrate and the byproducts of the sodium oxygen and carbon.

should look like this

H2O+ Ag2O + NaCN ^-> AgN + CO2 + NaCO + H2O

i don't care about the CO2 so that can be rid of. the sodium carbonate should precipitate and leave the silver nitrate dissolved. or the other way around.. or both stay dissolved..

If one or the other stays dissolved i can easily remove the other via filtration. if both stay dissolved then i can do an electrolysis.

if electrolysis is the answer then the probable solution will be + AgNa & - NC + O

this should be a wonderful experiment to do. im so excited.