OS trouble

pulkit

I would not suggest any of those.

I suggest you (because is my OS) GNU/Linux Slackware 10.0

The way RedHat ent. manage the sales and stuff doen't let it use the mp3 libraries, and some others.

I used to use RedHat 9.0 (is identical to fedora core in graphics (organization and kde customization by RH).

And well i did not played mp3, i go to take them out of other distro. so... i would not suggest red hat.

But if you are between RH and Mandrake then i suggest you RedHat.

But you really should try slackware.

Someone told me that FC2 does not come with a built in player for mp3, mpeg etc because the guys didn't want any copyright issues, is that true ?
Yes, thats true. There are instructions on the fedora site on how to install XMMS seperately (It's a bit like winamp) with MP3 support.

Yes, thats true. There are instructions on the fedora site on how to install XMMS seperately (It's a bit like winamp) with MP3 support

Can you incorporate support for real media and mpeg/avi codecs as well ?

• 3 weeks later...

Installed mandrake 10 on my home pc today. Find it very nice to work in.

I have Fedora Core installed in all my colege labs, and decided to give mandrake a try as an alternative for my home pc.

Now theres a new issue. I just bought a new laptop (compaq presario 2223AP), can someone tell me how to go about installing linux on it ?

well, cant you download it from somwhere?

connect your laptop maybe to your colege network, just pull a cable out the back of an existing computer and pop it into your laptop, [assumiung you laptop as an NIC] download it, copy it to a CD, format your HDD and intall linux from your pre-made CD.

or you could use dual-booting, which is when there are two OS on one HDD, at start-up you get an option, '1' for OS a and '2' for OS b [windows and linux, probably in this case]

well' date=' cant you download it from somwhere?

connect your laptop maybe to your colege network, just pull a cable out the back of an existing computer and pop it into your laptop, [assumiung you laptop as an NIC'] download it, copy it to a CD, format your HDD and intall linux from your pre-made CD.

or you could use dual-booting, which is when there are two OS on one HDD, at start-up you get an option, '1' for OS a and '2' for OS b [windows and linux, probably in this case]

Obviously you have no experiene with laptops.

I have linux cds with me, but installation on laptops is not as straight forward as that on desktops, which is precisely why I ask.

Especially so because this particular model has been designed for win xp and not linux

by removing the primary DOS partition, fully formatting why wont linux instal?

i dont have much expierience in laptops, but deleting the primary DOS partion and a format should do the job on any kinda computer, why not?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Smersh2000m

Greets everybody,

Pulkit, so have you tried to install yet, or not? if you have - what is the problem?

I have my Presario 2100, and installed linux on it 5 times, and each time it was different :). The best way to say it is : "Google is your friend!" The most problem is probably the video, and maybe eth (i hope not!!!). As for video, i'm sure you really wanted to run linux without X system on it, right :P ?

Sometimes, at least with Mandrake 10.0 it wouldn't boot fromthe first cd. i used second one, and then just switched back when it started complaining about it. Nuke dos? well it's not the best i'd go about it, unless you really don't care about any data on your windows partition. I do, that's why i used Partition Magic to decrease the size ofthe windows partition ( you can do this during mandrake installation as well, using linux tool)

The last time i played mp3s on my mandrake there was no problem,a nd i think i also had realtime, but it was couple months ago (iPod, therefore i live :) ).

PS: yeah, i wish it was that easy to make all the hardware work on linux. At least for beginners - it's a pain.

Best regards,

TS

Making hardware work on linux is easy it is just not the windows way.

it could be even faster.

I have a Dell inspiron 5100

It has an Ati Radeon in an intel agpart (chipset) controller.

Latin American keyboard.

Combo DVD RW

PPPoE connection

and everything works just great.

I use Slackaware GNU/Linux.

And i suggest it very much, if you have the time to try it, not those coprolitic things as redhat fedora or suse or mandrake. do it.

Any questions about Slackware linux please send me a message. :)