Where should I go with my skills?

kaos

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my web development/design/computer skills. I have been coding PHP/MySQL for seven years. I'm 19, a sophomore in college. I don't want to study computer science in college because I want more diversity in my education, so my real question is, OUTSIDE of college, what should I do? I currently make $15 an hour coding, but I am about to transfer to another university where I will lose this job.

I really want to combine my skills with another field, like electronics or biology or something. I will be studying environmental science with a concentration in policy and a minor in econ. I'm not sure if I should look for a job at the new school doing something similar to keep my career in web development going or not. While $15/hr is good for a 19 year old, it's only $30,000 a year full-time which is not a great salary. Also, environmental science would probably also only land me a job at $30,000 a year. I'm wondering how much money I will be looking at.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I think the real question you should be asking yourself is what do you enjoy doing? If you want to make good money, then you have to be good at what you do. Being good is not just being competent. You can be the most talented programmer in the world, but with out the drive and motivation to work you will never get anything meaningful done.

Choosing something that you have a passion for makes the motivation much easier to come by.

So pick something that excites you :)

Also, remember that even these two alone aren't always enough for success, people skills are also very important, and often overlooked. In most cases, being able to be a good member of a team is invaluable.

A mediocre coder that is an excellent team player (by which i mean is able to leverage his skills and the skills of his coworkers most efficiently) is often more valuable to a company than a coding prodigy who is prickly and stubborn.

Just common sense really, but important i think.

I chose to study computer science, with a focus on AI, because the future of the discipline is endlessly fascinating to me. Time will tell if that was a wise decision!

I think your plan to diversify is a fantastic idea, diversity stops you from stagnating, literally anything that you choose to study in detail can help you in solving problems, after all, thats what programming is - creative problem solving.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

I like to 2nd what James said;

also, you should expand your skills maybe get involved in some open source projects. make sure to have some systems level stuff in your toolbox. as big shops, need web guys that can also do other things...