Lady Gaga

bascule

On the other hand, I'm a Simon & Garfunkel fan, so acoustic is my thing.

I also liked their work, a great duo. It was very sad when they decided to venture on diferent roads, but fortunately those roads brought them together once more, when they made that concert in Central Park, New York.

Lots of us cried of joy, with their music.:cool:

Totally without flavor and substance.

I quite agree, I also have no intention of offending anyone, just invoking discussion. We must be carefull though, or a pro / anti gaga movement might start and split the scientific community in two!

It's generally the best artists who evoke the strongest emotions... You either love them or hate them. From the comments here, Lady Gaga is no exception.

Nice with her as a brunette at NYU. That makes it a lot easier to see the talent.

Can't stand her music, but having said that I give her full kudos for being a shrewd, and savvy manipulator of the market forces that drive pop.

She is a great musician, I believe she writes and arranges most of her own music, which is at least a step up from some of the other snap/crapple/pop out there and I've heard she's a good entertainer on stage, so I give her full credit on those grounds.

Totally not my kind of music but I can at least gladly call her a musician (and not just a singing head)

I predict that in five years you won't even remember who she was......unless, God forbid, she dies on the toilet.

I think you are severely underestimating her cultural impact. She's bigger than Britney Spears, and people still remember who Britney is even though she debuted some 12 years ago and has been washed up for quite some time.

Note that this re-enforces my opinion that all of you making snap judgments about her are simply ignorant.

Edited by bascule

She's bigger than Britney Spears, and people still remember who Britney is even though she debuted some 12 years ago and has been washed up for quite some time.

You must admit that Ms Spears is less remembered for her music than she is for her extracurricular activities.

I think you are severely underestimating her cultural impact.

I think that you are severely underestimating the cultural and historical significance of dying on the toilet.

In the end its her choice though.

Live out her life and be forgotten or take the crapper and live in the minds of her fans forever.

Edited by DrDNA
Consecutive posts merged.

I guess she's alright, but I much prefer

Alicia Keys

6PHOeXIPNZE

Natalie Merchant

EbdZTcBASKs

Adele

mxVnFMYEU2o

and if I want to hear something like Norah, then I will stick with the original.

But, hey its music, whatever floats your boat.

I predict that in five years you won't even remember who she was......unless, God forbid, she dies on the toilet.

That's the same thing the critics said about Led Zeppelin. Well...except the toilet part.

I think that you are severely underestimating the cultural and historical significance of dying on the toilet.

:P

In the end its her choice though.

Live out her life and be forgotten or take the crapper and live in the minds of her fans forever.

Well we like people on the crapper. We like artists and the more eccentric they are' date=' the more interesting they are. Art is a funny thing. You can act a complete fool and be rejected in humiliation or just as quickly be accepted as ground breaking.

Mostly though, fans can tell who is sincere and who is putting on an act.

I used to be a singer-guitarist in a band, and I'm just not that great vocally, but I can sing in key and women really dug my falsetto. But my buddy, the lead guitarist, had a [i']horrible[/i] voice, always out of key, very awkward sounding, didn't know how to manage a mic, and my wife and I and the other band members would just cringe when he started singing stuff. It was truly terrible.

But people we played for loved him for it. Because he was so into it, so genuine and sincere and willing to be emotionally naked. This was picked up by the crowd and his horrible singing just didn't seem to matter.

Lady Gaga has that to me, only she has a great voice too. I look for her music to evolve and change over time. If it doesn't, then I could see her fading away. But I'll bet it does, and I'll bet she impresses us for years to come.

I want to hear something like Norah, then I will stick with the original.

But, hey its music, whatever floats your boat.

As you may or may not have gathered from my previous posts, I'm a huge fan of synthpop/electroclash, so while I have trotted out Gaga's Norah Jones-style stuff as indicative of her underlying talent, it really is her mainstream synthpop stuff I adore.

My top 4 most listened Gaga tracks according to Last.fm:

So Happy I Could Die

Dance In The Dark

Telephone

Bad Romance

And more generally, I'm noticing people hating on Gaga because of synthesizers and Auto-Tune. If so... welcome to modern music?

That's the same thing the critics said about Led Zeppelin. Well...except the toilet part.

Are you implying that she will impact music/culture to the same extent that Led Zeppelin has?

Or do you mean that one should listen to her after a couple of doobies?

Are you implying that she will impact music/culture to the same extent that Led Zeppelin has?

Or do you mean that one should listen to her after a couple of doobies?

I'm saying if everyone listened to her after a couple of doobies we wouldn't be posting our geeky opinions on a science forum.

I predict that in five years you won't even remember who she was

Perhaps you're confusing Lady Gaga with Ke$ha or Justin Bieber

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Apparently this is what passes for the best music in Europe right now... WTF?

8QSgNM9yNjo

Apparently this is what passes for the best music in Europe right now... WTF?
Eurovision is traditionally awful, kind of a long running joke, most artists wouldn't risk going on it. Don't let it influence your view on European music.

I'm saying if everyone listened to her after a couple of doobies we wouldn't be posting our geeky opinions on a science forum.

I'd be too too busy ordering/eating pizza to type....if i could type.

I have no idea where she even came from..I mean, she seemed to just pop up over night?? Does anyone have any footage of her before she started wearing obscure outfits and girating around poles?

I have no idea where she even came from..I mean, she seemed to just pop up over night?? Does anyone have any footage of her before she started wearing obscure outfits and girating around poles?

There was some earlier in this thread, eg, post 25.