Biochemistry... Should I pursue the PhD route?

shoebie

Hi, I'm a college junior with a biochemistry major and I am trying to figure out what to do after college. I would like to go into pharmaceuticals and or other areas of research and development. I know there are a lot of jobs right out of college such as bench chemists, but I've heard that its just like slave labor and it is better to get your PhD. I would like to enter graduate school and get my PhD in biochemistry right after college, but I've been hearing sometimes its harder to get an industry job when you have a PhD because you cost too much or you are a threat to the PhDs already established in that particular company. What is your opinion?

I'm only going back to start my masters in chemistry in september after a year out (unsuccessfully searching for gainful employment lol) and so couldn't really comment on any prejudices in industry or what have you, but I will say that I don't think theres any point in getting your phd (which I intend to do) unless you genuinely want a career in research. If you do then its certainly worth doing, however if you aren't concerned with the actual science and just want to work in the pharma industry then it probably wont offer too much.

How about taking a masters while you decide what you want to do. As farmboy said, it would make most sense to do a PhD if you were seriously considering going in to research.

I think you should be aware of what whatever job you go for will entail - for example if you're working for a pharmaceutial company in drug design you're not necessarily going to be involved in rational drug design, but more likely doing endless repetitive assays.

It seems like a masters is a waste of time and money if you're going to get your phd anyway.

I would recommend taking a year and working as a research tech instead, to make sure you like research (which is what I did/doing)

Well, also note that as a PhD with time one often tend to do less and less actual research and more managing (depending on the tracks available in the company, there are large differences out there).

It seems like a masters is a waste of time and money if you're going to get your phd anyway.

I disagree, but then again I suppose it depends on the format of the masters course. My masters will make me a more attractive prospect when applying for a PhD as it will give me more training.