Chemical Exposure

Stadtjunky

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I'm student chemist (only 21), and last week I got exposed to alot of methyl iodide when I spilt some dissolved in DCM onto my hand, although I was wearing nitrile gloves I think the chemical passed straight through, I had some skin irritation the next day. Now, after reading up so much about MeI, I'm paranoid that I'll get cancer. Am I being reasonable in worrying about getting cancer because of this exposure?

I seen a doctor, he says it's unlikely, but isn't it also extremely unlikely that someone would have this sort of accident?

Many, many thanks,

John W

By the way, it was about 15 mL I split on my gloves (which stayed on my hands for like 6 -7 seconds), the 15 mL was mostly DCM, but about 1 mL was pure MeI

• 4 weeks later...

The irritation you experienced is probably from the DCM. I've split that on me before and it does effect your skin. While MeI is a carcinogen and not very nice for ur skin but with that said you should keep an eye on the area. If the irritaton doesnt go away after a day or two then you should go back to the doctor.