I am in BIG trouble! Please Help!

Encrypted

Hello,

I play some computer games online and i thought i was relatively safe until there was a guy who was able to get my exact ip address while i was playing yesterday and he kicked me out of the game itself(i was playing Halo PC online)!!

I have stopped playing right now, but i would like to know how to protect myself from these 'hacks'. Plus..how was he able to get my ip address:confused:??? I am not very knowledgable on the internet and stuff, so could you please help me!?

Thanks a lot.

Encrypted

think of your IP address as your street address, just because i know where you live, doesnt mean i can break into your house, thats what the walls and doors are there for! so you have a firewall, which acts as security.

normally, when you go onto a game server, or any server, incl. this website, your IP address will be transmitted, its like your signature, so your the server knows who you are. its no problem!

so the guy hosting halo knew your IP address, coz he was the server host, and sayonara knows your IP address, as he's one of the admin's for this site,

really no probs. theres no way to properly hide it, unlesss, you disconnect your computer from the internet.... :)

a guy who was able to get my exact ip address while i was playing yesterday and he kicked me out of the game itself(i was playing Halo PC online)!!

No worries. It was probably an admin who didn't want you on his server for whatever reason. Just join another one. It most likely wasn't a 'hack'.

This reminds me of one time where I was trying to join an Age of Empires game over the net. But then in the chat box, I was saying something. I didn't type anything though. Someone was able to "put words into my mouth." How did they do that?

yes, it is,

ip addresses are as public as your house number is, its nothing to worry about so long as you have a firewall, when i was playing halo before, the server's ip address comes up on the screen [bottom right whilsts it loading] its really no big secret!

There are such things as IP sniffers, try googling "Halo PC Hacks" to see what you can find. Chances are, its like has been mentioned and he was simply a host, maybe trying to give you a scare.

I wouldn't worry with it to much though, as most ISP's nowadays aren't to friendly to the script kiddies who like the point and click hacking. A good router and firewall software will keep you safe.

does anyone know how you could even go about hacking, i mean, so what if you have an IP address, where do you go from there?

That is a long and complicated road, plus one I don't think I should give details on a respectable forums board, as you know, that is kind of, sort of illegal. ;)

For the 1st of your questions, read my 1st post.

For the 2nd one, so what if the software you're tried is not free? Someone did spend the time and effort to write it, thereby if you want to use a 3rd party software that actually works well, don't you agree that a little compensation is in order?

Then again, there are numerous things you can do yourself that'll make someone miserable should they attempt to break into your system.