How do you create Internet?

dstebbins

You can CREATE your own electricity if you have your own windmill or solar panel. You can't exactly get FREE electricity unless you have a lot of solar panels or windmills, but it can substantially lower your electricity bill.

That being said, how can you create your own Internet connection?

I understand that you will probably have to do it in terms of data transfer, rather than total data transfer per second (kinda like you do on a cell phone), but it should still be possible, right?

How, exactly, does that work?

gonna be much much more expensive than getting an electrical generator.

Yes, I can understand that, but the QUESTION was how do you do it?

Or, and that whole "peering" thing sounds illegal (using someone else's Internet connection).

The point of peering is that you have an agreement with the other person to share traffic across your networks.

The Internet is merely a bunch of computers networked together; you just have to get a connection into that network. Peering is how you do it.

The point of peering is that you have an agreement with the other person to share traffic across your networks.

The Internet is merely a bunch of computers networked together; you just have to get a connection into that network. Peering is how you do it.

How can I find a network willing to peer with me?

Dunno. You'd have to see what ISPs operate locally, and if there are any Internet exchanges near you. Then you'd have to contact them.

I doubt they'd be interested in peering with one guy, though. One person peering with a large network is basically just like buying Internet access from an ISP, but harder.

Dunno. You'd have to see what ISPs operate locally, and if there are any Internet exchanges near you. Then you'd have to contact them.

I doubt they'd be interested in peering with one guy, though. One person peering with a large network is basically just like buying Internet access from an ISP, but harder.

You could form your own ISP and lay cable to your neighborhood.

But here's the problem: how do you convince people(or the city) to let you lay cable on their property?

You don't need to lay cable. You can get a leased line from a telco who has already done that.

Once you have a leased line, you'll either need to pay for internet service through that telco or get a peering agreement with another ISP.

This is actually quite feasible if you have a large apartment building or condo. With enough people sharing the bandwidth, you can actually get faster service more cheaply than going through a major cable or DSL provider:

http://trueslant.com/kylebrady/2010/04/08/be-your-own-isp/

You can CREATE your own electricity if you have your own windmill or solar panel. You can't exactly get FREE electricity unless you have a lot of solar panels or windmills, but it can substantially lower your electricity bill.

That being said, how can you create your own Internet connection?

I understand that you will probably have to do it in terms of data transfer, rather than total data transfer per second (kinda like you do on a cell phone), but it should still be possible, right?

How, exactly, does that work?

What your probably looking for is more akin to the IntrAnet. you create a Intranet by connecting a large group of computers with your normal types of connections. For larger intranets you may need other items such as switches, and computers set up as servers. that is if you want to get indepth in the process. if you would like to connect your intranet to the internet, you could connect a server computer to the internet or connect the internet through a switch.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intranet