DreamLord and Cap'n Website Talk

Fellowes

This is the thread that I have started to discuss the idea or a website and if you guys really wanna help me make one and get it up and operating and stuff. Right now it's just brainstorming ideas but later on I can put them on paper and get things rolling.

OK. Well it's just a site that is going to have forums it's gonna have other stuff too like cool links and cool stuff and some kind of theme to it. /Forums are a must though\ Need a cool theme. Like anything, sports, movies, music^, whatever.

Yes I like Sci-Fi and Fantasy is cool too. I think that movies or books would be a great one. Books I think are up there in my books only because there aren't many

'book related' sites out there. And if it were about books then it wouuld also be civilized because there wouldn't be or at least there's probably not going to be people there who are going to be causing trouble, know what I mean. I like the books idea. We could have book links and forums and discussions on books and polls and stuff like that if we can fit it. Good Idea.

Yeah books or games I think we should make it as. Or both books and games. What ever you want ( I preferrably if we had to pick just one would probably pick books just to let ya know). Well I'm going to look around for some freeware to help get this started. I will make some copies and then I could e-mail them to you or you could get whatever freeware I get and when we get going make the animations and stuff and we can send our 'drafts' back and forth if you know what I mean?

um, i really dont wanna be the mean guy, but may i just ask you skills in website design?

its just, to get complex stuff like this, you need to know HTML, and/or javascript programing languages, and have appropriate software.

you then need to host the site, which is not free. to get your own .com website or .co.uk or .net you have to pay. there are some free alternatives, but they include stuff they want, in the address, so it might be .20m.com which is http://www.20m.com version of free hosting. just look it up on google, there are many similar services, but check out for catches such as date limits, view limits, and websapce limits, in the amont of stuff you can actually host.

I know there are extensions on free hosting and stuff I have already used 741.com as a free host site. Another user KHnifcube22 used a forum skin, and our site might not have a forum on it just yet, it might jsut be a cool site thats all. After awhile when I learn abit more I might look into somemore complicated stuff.

Why does it say "cap'n" in the title?

Sorry, I know a little bit of java, but certainly no javascript or ANY html. I'd be worthless really, unless you know how to put it in a page. All I know is making buttons and text fields. I can't make it store information or anything.

Sorry.

Know what Web Page Maker is? Ever hear of it. Download it and see. It's not that hard to do it's basically a drag-and-drop HTML editor. Really easy to use. I know it's far from all the complicated HTML and javascript but it looks good when you see the completed results.

Know what Web Page Maker is? Ever hear of it. Download it and see. It's not that hard to do it's basically a drag-and-drop HTML editor. Really easy to use. I know it's far from all the complicated HTML and javascript but it looks good when you see the completed results.

There's no such thing as complicated HTML (unless you use Frontpage, which is the ****ing devil, but most of its code is not valid HTML anyway).

Rather than using a page-builder you will save yourself time and tears if you just learn CSS2 and XHTML, which you can do at http://www.w3schools.com, and code in a text editor.

I know people always say that, but it really is true.

Yeah I'm actually learning sourece code right now from a tutorial, but I think I will have to learn some of the more complicated stuff like adding javascripts and all that somewhere else. I might give that site a try.

keep the halo2/doom3 argument in its own thread please ;)

There's no such thing as complicated HTML (unless you use Frontpage, which is the ****ing devil,

now the last thing i really wanna do is start an argument, so i'll make it quite clear. i have used frontpage for a long time, just went into HTML view, did it all from there, no mucking around, i have used dreamweaver, and found it very similar, in that i went into HTML view, and it all went fine from there; so my question is, why do you, or maybe everyone find FrontPage so bad? i've never had problems with it, but then maybe i'm one in a million!