Earth & Magnetic poles

Double K

Is it possible for the earth to reverse its polarisation in relation to magnetic poles, so that the negative becomes the positive and vice versa?

Assuming this were possible, what becomes of all electrical devices does it affect anything?

What sort of effect would a polar reversal have?

Is it possible for the earth to reverse its polarisation in relation to magnetic poles, so that the negative becomes the positive and vice versa?

North and South is a better way to say it rather than + or -.

Assuming this were possible, what becomes of all electrical devices does it affect anything?

I'm sure that a compass would be the most likely affected device, i know of no other devices that would be effected. Lack of an magnetic field between the reversal of the poles would be more likely to have an effect on electrical devices. Especially satellites that depend on the earths magnetic field to shield them from solar storms.

Lack of an magnetic field between the reversal of the poles would be more likely to have an effect on electrical devices. Especially satellites that depend on the earths magnetic field to shield them from solar storms.

I recall when I first heard this idea that they did say if it happened that there would be a period of rebalance where the poles would be almost non existant, I recall them talking about problems with the "shield" (gaussian shield?) protecting earth at this time. I'll see if I can find any documentary or such on it, your comment jogged my memory that I had seen something about that before

The magnetic poles reverse on a semi-regular basis (recent research suggests a very long time scale pattern likely related to events within the core). The time interval between reversals approximates a few hundred thousand years, but can vary considerably. The last reversal was around 700,000 years ago. There is some evidence to suggest that we may be in the early stages of a reversal at present: field strength is declining; the magnetic pole is wandering more rapidly than has been the case in historical times; a secondary pole, the South Atlantic Anomaly, has developed.

Computer modelling suggests a reversal will take a thousand years or more. During this period the field will become increasingly irregular and weaker, before settling into the new arrangement. This will leave the Earth somewhat more exposed to charged particles from the solar wind and cosmic rays.

Contrary to the doom merchant's crys this is unlikely to have a marked influence on the biosphere. Attempts to find a correlation between previous reversals and extinction events have failed. Migratory birds that rely on the magnetic field to navigate may have problems, but most of these have back up systems.

Aircraft may have to fly at lower altitudes to avoid exposing crews to excessive cumulative radiation. This is already the case over the South Atlantic Anomaly. Compasses will, of course, point in the opposite direction. Magnetic sensors used in drilling directional wells will require a suite of corrections to be applied. I can't think of any major items of equipment that would be affected in any significant way.