Circle.

ydoaPs

Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The radius is just a distance between the center and the circumference. If the circumference is shortened, your measurement will show that the distance between the center and the circumference have shrinked (the radius).

Again: The radius is not an object and is thereby not affected by relativity.

I'll post the article again as it pretty much explains what's going on:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rigid_disk.html

to summarize

the circumfenrce changes but not the radius, so the spatial slice cannot be Eucldean, but the spatial slice of the Minkpowski metric is Eucldean so there exists no such rigid disc in specil relativity. However Einstein uses this as an argument for the non-Minkowskian (except in the limiting case obviously) Lorentzian metrics of GR which have non-Euclidean (again except in the limiting case) spatial slices.

I'll post the article again as it pretty much explains what's going on:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rigid_disk.html

to summarize

the circumfenrce changes but not the radius' date=' so the spatial slice cannot be Eucldean, but the spatial slice of the Minkpowski metric is Eucldean so there exists no such rigid disc in specil relativity. However Einstein uses this as an argument for the non-Minkowskian (except in the limiting case obviously) Lorentzian metrics of GR which have non-Euclidean (again except in the limiting case) spatial slices.[/quote']

could you explain it again is english? not english, american. :Þ

Okay I'll simplfy it to a few points becasue the explanation on the site really isn' that complicated but the some of the terminolgy might throw some people not overly famlair with the terminolgy of relativty:

1) the length of the circumfenrce changes but not the radius

2) therfore the circle is non-Euclidean

3) but space in special relatitvity is alwaus Euclidean

4) Therefore a rigid disc of this type is not allowed in spcial relativty

5) but Einstein uses the disc as an argument for the non-Euclidean spaces of GR.

so pi is NOT a constant?

I'd say pi is a constant, because it's defined by plane geometry (but it's a matter of defintio). For example pi appears in Einstein's fild equations wich don't necessarily describe spacetime with Euclidean spatially slices, but it's still the same number (i.e. the numebr defined by plane geomerty and the trigonmetric functions).

A disc is bounded by a circle.

Yes, but if it's a circle only the circumference is affected by relativity. If it's a disk the whole plane within the circumference is affected.

That means it'll be misformed (if it's a disk).

Yes' date=' but if it's a circle only the circumference is affected by relativity. If it's a disk the whole plane within the circumference is affected.

That means it'll be misformed (if it's a disk).[/quote']

You still have a non-Euclidean circle on your hands.