More Psuedo-debates?

Cap'n Refsmmat

Should we do more psuedo-debates?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we do more psuedo-debates?

I think YES. Simply because I just put forth a challenge that, if the moderators actions in the regular forums is any example, will be considered pseudoscience.

Of course, if it is considered a 'pseudo-debate', and it is accepted, I would hope that any contributors to such a debate would take it a little more seriously than that alien one.

So.... Yes.

I have a better idea. We should invite those who actually believe in pseudo-science to come to forum to defend their beliefs. I bet if we looked we could find some people that could make decent arguments (or at least humorous ones) that would make the debate really interesting.

I have a better idea. We should invite those who actually believe in pseudo-science to come to forum to defend their beliefs. I bet if we looked we could find some people that could make decent arguments (or at least humorous ones) that would make the debate really interesting.

that is a really good idea

I think, after having the whole gay marriage debate yesterday, that it would be interesting to see Sayo have to debate a controversial topic with himself. No matter what side of the arguement he's on, he seems to always make it look better. So I think that it would be fun to see Sayo have to give both sides of an arguement.

I am not sure I like the idea of debates being formalised like they are now. I don't want to get involved in formal debates because I know as soon as I challenge someone suddenly I will have to finish a paper or go away on some emergeny trip or something, not have time to post and lose by default.

I would prefer if we could have a section where the mods would pick up particularly lively discussions which have taken place on the boards and ask posters to vote on who 'won' the argument. It is ofetn not clear if the general readers are with you or against you, and it would be fun to know how convincing one's arguments have been. (My recent spat with Franc28 in the religion and philosophy section springs to mind.)

I voted no here.

although I don`t mind taking part in one if the debate or philosophy part presents good argument, I find that they`re otherwise very boring after a VERY short period of time, and sorry to say, but I DO lose interest (there`s much better posts to help with mostly).

I`m all one for fun and games etc... (I started the "Official Jokes Section" for petes sakes) but this is afterall a serious site dedicated to Science.

not only that, but we get enough of them anyway, we hardly need give permission to someone, so that they can make MORE of this crap! :))

IMO the forums provide a perfect outlet for any debate, formalising just discourages people from posting, and would be overwhelming for newbies. Also I fear having a 'who won?' poll might not be the best idea; What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right. Also people are more likely to argue with the winning team and thus there opinion may be distorted.

• 9 months later...

I voted maybe on the basis if someone wants to who am I to stop them, but reading through this thread I'm edging a tiny bit further towards no, I agree with Lance post #14