Easy way to learn human anatomy

Have a general knowledge of latin certainly helps.

Also, the large medical charts you always see in doctors surgeries are great to have when you study, put it up on your wall and you will look at it pretty much every day, if you expose yourself to it constantly it will make a difference.

Lastly, don't be overwhelmed. It's actually not that hard, its just alot to try and absorb and it seems daunting to begin with. The best way that I found was to break it down into portions, for example focus on the bones - once you have skeletal anatomy down, move on to the muscles, their (muscle) origins and insertions and their actions - rotator, abductor, adductor.

It's also good to break it up by focusing on specific areas and learning each part well. Eventually it all comes together, and break the body up logically as muscles cross segments so if you're learning origins and insertions it makes sense to think about perhaps it starts at the hip, and crosses the knee ([Tensor fascia lata] Ilio-tibial band for example)

Where it starts to get really difficult is learning all the epicondyles, tuberosities etc..

Understand terms such as superior, posterior, anterior, distal, proximal...(this is where basic basic latin helps out)

Edited by Double K

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What books should i use for anatomy? It's my first time to take anatomy 1 though i passed general ana-physiology class.

There are three famous books of human anatomy (at least in my country).

Gray's anatomy

Clinical anatomy by Snell

Clinical Oriented anatomy by Keith L moore.

Check out this post for more details : Best books on human anatomy

I recommend just watching Acland's over and over. Learning the meaning of common words like foramen and tuberosity is helpful. Understanding orientation early in the piece is essential. Good luck!

I don't think it is a good idea. You can produce much better results studying a good book. Yes, watching a video might be less boring, but it is not as effective as books because if you are a medical student, you have to remember all the minor details which can only be kept in mind in form of tables.

Google Body Browser

http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/

24well_body-blog480.jpg

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/new-from-google-the-body-browser/

Six years ago, I took a hard fall while playing soccer and tore a ligament in my knee.

As I weighed my treatment options in confusion, I searched on the Internet for images and videos to help me better understand how the knee works.

I wish I’d had access to Google’s Body Browser, a new, free 3-D tool that lets users rotate the body, peel back layers of it, and zoom in and zoom out, all from within an Internet browser window. There’s a search feature, so I typed in “anterior cruciate ligament” and it zoomed into the part of the knee that I’d injured.

It’s like a Gray’s Anatomy coloring book, come to life. I was curious, though, about what medical practitioners think about it. Is it something that medical students might use, or that doctors might use to educate patients?

When I talked to doctors who have played around with Body Browser, they said that isn’t nearly as detailed or sophisticated enough for a medical student. But, many told me, it may end up being an excellent teaching tool for patients.

Edited by iNow

'The Anatomy Coloring Book' is a good way to start, since coloring in all those outline sketches forces you to involve yourself with the pieces and shapes in a way that is more engaging than just staring at a text and memorizing. You can also purchase full-size human skeletons made of plastic parts for a reasonable price, which again provide a more three-dimensional picture of the motive apparatus and support structure of the human body.

I can think of one very fun and definitely not boring way of learning the human anatomy. :D:rolleyes:

"So this is the pectoralis... how fascinating!"

You are absolutely correct but I should tell you that for the absolute beginners, reading the first page of anatomy book is very interesting.