What is trolling?

Here's the Wikipedia definition, which is rather good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Just as an aside: "Troll" comes from "trolling''(trawling), which is a type of fishing where baited lines are slowly pulled through the water in hopes that the fish will take the hook.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. [/Quote]

Wouldn't this then be from the subjective view of another. For instance, if I actually believed "The Founders" were in general a religious bunch of people, then another felt they were not...one or the other COULD BE accused of trolling, while neither or any of the participant might believe that. "Provoking other users into a desired emotional response" would also be subjective and many of your best posters practice this daily in elevating interest in any number of threads under any number of subjects.

What is trolling? I've seen that users have been baned or suspended because of that. The only description I can find is "singing". Thanks [/Quote]

Caleb; It's only my opinion, but the few that have been banned or suspended for claimed 'Trolling', were more likely for specific reasons, other than trolling. Sometimes I would think it's best, using a generic term, is simpler and less abusive, than saying 'obnoxious behavior' or something like that....

Wouldn't this then be from the subjective view of another. For instance, if I actually believed "The Founders" were in general a religious bunch of people, then another felt they were not...one or the other COULD BE accused of trolling, while neither or any of the participant might believe that. "Provoking other users into a desired emotional response" would also be subjective and many of your best posters practice this daily in elevating interest in any number of threads under any number of subjects.

The key word is "intent".

• 2 weeks later...
Caleb - Another way to explore the fun variants of this phenomenon is to go to the link below and click Begin, Read the Page, Click Next Warrior, and Repeat. Enjoy.

http://www.flamewarriors.com/index.htm

I know that this is old, but gawd it was such a fun read! And true! (insert rolling on the floor laughing emoticon here.)

Edited by divagreen
left out the "a" between "such" and "fun"