Lack of sleep 'linked to early death

Greippi

This has been in the news lately.

"Getting less than six hours sleep a night can lead to an early grave, UK and Italian researchers have warned."

I've been getting lots of non-sciency people asking me about this as they're very skeptical. Does anyone have the reference for the paper this refers to so I can be a bit more informed? As far as I can tell, the results of this study were actually published in 2007.

I think you're looking for this:

Cappuccio FP, D’Elia L, Strazzullo P & Miller MA. Sleep duration and all-cause mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies. Sleep 2010; 33(5): 585-92

Here's the PDF off the author's website:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/staff/cappuccio/publications/sleep_2010_mortality_meta.pdf

Studies like this come out often, and they are often debated.

In general, lack of sleep can increase stress, and large amounts of stress can deteriorate the immune system. So, it does make sense that constant deprivation of sleep can ruin a person's immune system with time. Many deaths come from immune system deficiencies or below average activity. There is at least a high correlation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.