Your current status.

Mr Skeptic

Currently I've put on hold all the certifications I was working toward, my car recently became unusable and so I gotta save up to get a new one! However, I'll be on vacation starting next saturday for 9 days...mmmm....so who cares about a car til then

Trying to figure out a decent way to code a control concept that my students have been working on for an FPS shooter for the iPhone. They want to try something different from the console-like two-button approach (left button for move, right button for aim) that's rapidly becoming the defacto standard, but which everyone hates because it requires an inconsistent, poorly-sampled thumb-drag that also frequently blocks the player's view.

They've got a pretty good concept, but they've run into a couple of snags so I'm perusing various games and tutorials looking for ideas.

I'm currently bogged down with three assignments (two on extreme environment astrophysics, the other is more basic astronomy), I need to cram two weeks work into one, as I'm off on holiday next week.

Incidentally, the comic strip in the OP seems particularly apt. I went to vote today (election day in the UK) and after cramming my brain with the physics of accretion discs, I found great difficulty putting some paper into a slot. I was told to fold it twice :D

EDIT: Good luck ajb

My current status is wondering if there is a correlation between length of journal article and the proportion of useful research in it. i.e the longer the paper is to print out, the less amount of useful research there is in it. :)

I am also using displacement activity to avoid revising for exams. I should have degree in procrastination.

My current status is wondering if there is a correlation between length of journal article and the proportion of useful research in it. i.e the longer the paper is to print out, the less amount of useful research there is in it. :)

I have been told that "impact/usefulness etc." is proportional to the inverse of the length of the title and/or abstract :D.

I have been told that "impact/usefulness etc." is proportional to the inverse of the length of the title and/or abstract :D.

:D

I think you maybe onto something there!!

I'm amazed at how scientists can hide a tiny amount of information on 1 page of writing, figures and graphs. Maybe that is the secret to getting published, if your research is lacking, hide it amongst wordage and hyperbole so that no one understands it, especially not UGs :)

I'm amazed at how scientists can hide a tiny amount of information on 1 page of writing, figures and graphs. Maybe that is the secret to getting published, if your research is lacking, hide it amongst wordage and hyperbole so that no one understands it, especially not UGs :)

I can assure that wordy writing will get you a bad paper review (I get enormously fed up when I review one). And it is far worse for grant reviews. If anything, the trick to getting published or funded is doing the inverse. Well, that and being well-known and connected in your field ;)

Edit: I am talking about natural sciences, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You must live in Yankee land, they've been setting off fire works here for the last week the last three day has been intense with rockets and big booms. Tonight has been unbelievable, i have a dog who is terrified of the whole commotion. a 60 pound basset hound who thinks he should be in my back pocket the last several days due to the fireworks :doh: