A New Speculation on the Composition and Functionality of a "Luminiferous Aether"

Sunsphere

The speed of light is determined by the propagation impedence of the medium it traverses. Now we just have to know the composition and functionality of the medium that facilitates the propagation of EM energy. There really is a medium. I think I know what is is. It's the ether. And I think I know it's composition and functionality. And as defined it is consistent with all experiments testing the phenomena of special relativity, general relativity, and relativistic quantum mechanics.

Edited by Sunsphere

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the dismissal of the “luminiferous aether” as a result of the famous MMX and then with the resounding success of Einstein’s Special Theory of Relativity, both of which are held to discredit the need of or even the existence of such a substance for the propagation of light, any further scientific investigatory research to discover if such a substance exists has been all but abandoned. At the time of the introduction of the ether theory, and even by the time of Einstein’s special and general theories of relativity, many of the later proven principles of EM radiation were not known. Based upon an in-depth analysis using all proven data of now known properties of radiated EM energy, I propose the composition and functionality of the elusive ether can now be defined consistent with all experiments testing the phenomena of special relativity, general relativity, and relativistic quantum mechanics.

I figure, if we can accept unproven things, like "strings", what is the big deal about using an unproven ether. One can just as well math model around an ether, since math does not have to be based on provable things (strings) to be functional. The bias against the ether sounds more political than based on a consistent policy in physics.

For example, time is considered a reference variable. It is not even considered a tangible thing. It is all in the head. So if we used the ether, as a reference variable, like we use time, the real question is, would it make things more efficient and/or simpler? It is not a question of needing to be proven, since strings, dark matter are not proven. It is a question of the final functionality, such as with string theory, which can be functional even if strings don't really exist.

I suggest that paths of light observed as being bent by a gravitational field; the red shift in an observed light spectrum as it traverses outward in the gravitational field of its source; the red shift in distant galaxies light spectrum assumed to be primarily due to the Doppler Effect caused by receding galaxies in a rapidly expanding universe; geodesic paths of gravitational motion attributed to a curved space-time geometry; dark energy; dark matter; and the relativity of time and energy; are all unified in the substance of a universal “luminiferous aether” (ether) which has never been scientifically defined before.

Since many major discoveries have been attained with no need for an ether for the propagation of light, there has been no need to actually discover the true composition of what at one time was regarded as a necessary medium. Therefore any possible ether medium has never been discovered and as a result, there has been no specific consideration as to what an accurately defined ether may contribute to further discovery.

As stated in my original post, based upon an in-depth analysis using all proven data of now known properties of radiated EM energy, the composition and functionality of the elusive ether can now be defined, and is consistent with all experiments testing the phenomena of special relativity, general relativity, and relativistic quantum mechanics.

On that basis I propose the following hypothesis, that without incorporating the ether's functional properties as defined, could never have been presented in this manner. I wrote it in a succinct manner to open the mind to possible investigation of all it implies. So here it is.

As defined, the universal ether is the “dark energy” glue that ties all four interaction forces in Nature together, bonding all atomic components in atomic structures together in a quantum entropy pattern of motion as required to sustain their interdependent coexistence, is the medium for the propagation of EM radiation, and accounts for the continual creation of new matter as suggested in the Bondi/Gold/Hoyle steady state theory to maintain an unending existence of the universe. I suggest the new matter thus created constitutes the substance of “dark matter.”

An awful lot said. There may have been better chosen words, so please read carefully. Thank you.

Since many major discoveries have been attained with no need for an ether for the propagation of light, there has been no need to actually discover the true composition of what at one time was regarded as a necessary medium. Therefore any possible ether medium has never been discovered and as a result, there has been no specific consideration as to what an accurately defined ether may contribute to further discovery.

There's no need to discover he nature of the medium because there is no need to invoke the existence of the medium; the other theories explain the behavior we observe.

I notice that a comment has been made that suggests that there is no need to invoke the existence of the medium because other theories explain the behavior we observe. In response, please consider the following.

That question by Skye is the greatest! It will take a little time to put it together based upon known principles of propagated EM energy. Once we have an understanding of the principles involved, I will then suggest a never before postulated definition of the composition of the ether.

Once we consider a valid substance for the ether composition, then we can examine how that substance functions to facilitate the continued propagational trajectory of input photon quanta.

Then we will examine how matter is created as a result of how the substance of the ether functions to periodically form the necessary spin and flavor of various atomic components, i.e., leptons and quarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, etc., having wave-particle dualities.

As for the principles involved, to start with, can we agree that as the result of the propagated quanta of all the photon emitting sources in the universe, every point in the universe is interlaced with photon energy arriving at that point from every spherically directional coordinate?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
There's no need to discover he nature of the medium because there is no need to invoke the existence of the medium; the other theories explain the behavior we observe.

How about the various behaviors I referenced at the lead-in to the post you quoted from in making your comment? All those behaviors are as of yet not answered with substantiated discovery, only theory. My string will lead to postulated answers that with experiment may be finally substantiated.

How about the various behaviors I referenced at the lead-in to the post you quoted from in making your comment? All those behaviors are as of yet not answered with substantiated discovery, only theory. My string will lead to postulated answers that with experiment may be finally substantiated.

You only make a vague reference to "properties of radiated EM energy" in the OP, and later on mention various aspects of relativity and dark matter/energy. Relativity is well-confirmed by experimentation. We are still working on dark matter and dark energy.

Thank all of you who have responded to my new thread. This concept has never been investigated before and may seem a radical proposal because of so much that has been discovered with no need for an ether for the propagation of EM energy. I only want to proceed cautiously because I want to hear from each of you and respectfully respond by accepting anything you have to offer that may help me be more accurate and clear. Please know that nothing I say will be with disrespect for anything you say. I’ve never tried this before and I still have a lot to learn. So please stay with me and help me, and you may be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, it may lead to a dead end, but let us at least try.

Let us review a little of what I’ve posted so far.

“I suggest that paths of light observed as being bent by a gravitational field; the red shift in an observed light spectrum as it traverses outward in the gravitational field of its source; the red shift in distant galaxies light spectrum assumed to be primarily due to the Doppler Effect caused by receding galaxies in a rapidly expanding universe; geodesic paths of gravitational motion attributed to a curved space-time geometry; dark energy; dark matter; and the relativity of time and energy; are all unified in the substance of a universal “luminiferous aether” (ether) which has never been scientifically defined before.”

Add this: “which has never been scientifically defined before.” which will be defined.

“On that basis I propose the following hypothesis, which without incorporating the ether's functional properties as defined, could never have been presented in this manner. I wrote it in a succinct manner to open the mind to possible investigation of all it implies. So here it is.”

“As defined, the universal ether is the “dark energy” glue that ties all four interaction forces in Nature together, bonding all atomic components in atomic structures together in a quantum entropy pattern of motion as required to sustain their interdependent coexistence, is the medium for the propagation of EM radiation, and accounts for the continual creation of new matter as suggested in the Bondi/Gold/Hoyle steady state theory to maintain an unending existence of the universe. I suggest the new matter thus created constitutes the substance of “dark matter.”

Add this: An answer to the dark energy/dark matter behaviors will be suggested as attributed to an accurately defined ether, which will be revealed.

“Once we consider a valid substance for the ether composition, then we can examine how that substance functions to facilitate the continued propagational trajectory of input photon quanta.”

Add this: “a valid substance”: which will be disclosed

“Then we will examine how matter is created as a result of how the substance of the ether functions to periodically form the necessary spin and flavor of various atomic components, i.e., leptons and quarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, etc., having wave-particle dualities.”

Add this: Answers to both parts of how the ether functions in the propagation of light and in creating new matter will be revealed.

I don’t consider these as vague reference to "properties of radiated EM energy." These are pretty profound suggestions. I am not in variance with any discoveries or theories of modern physics. In fact it is those theories I am trying to suggest I have an answer for by incorporating the functional properties of accurately defined ether.

At this time there is no need for a mathematical framework. That may not even be necessary because I’m not offering anything new in regards to expanded mathematical analysis. All present day substantiated mathematical expressions are actually allowed and supportive of what is being offered.

I haven’t had a chance to state my goal yet, and I probably should have right up front, that probably would have been greatly helpful. So finally, here it is. My goal is to arrive at a point where it may be seen that all of the observed behaviors outlined in my OP can be explained by incorporating the suggested functional properties of the ether as will be defined. Thank you.

At this time there is no need for a mathematical framework. That may not even be necessary because I’m not offering anything new in regards to expanded mathematical analysis. All present day substantiated mathematical expressions are actually allowed and supportive of what is being offered.

Let me guess...

At this stage it is only a theory? :rolleyes:

I don’t consider these as vague reference to "properties of radiated EM energy." These are pretty profound suggestions. I am not in variance with any discoveries or theories of modern physics. In fact it is those theories I am trying to suggest I have an answer for by incorporating the functional properties of accurately defined ether.

Relativity already predicts time dilation, redshift, curved space, etc. with great accuracy, and which do not require an aether. There is little room for any other mechanism contributing to these effects.

I haven’t had a chance to state my goal yet, and I probably should have right up front, that probably would have been greatly helpful. So finally, here it is. My goal is to arrive at a point where it may be seen that all of the observed behaviors outlined in my OP can be explained by incorporating the suggested functional properties of the ether as will be defined. Thank you.

If there is nothing that the aether adds to the mathematical analysis, then the functional properties are nil. How is this different from not existing?

Mod note: This is in reply to post #1; these two posts were moved from another thread

You're in good company. You'll be aware of Einstein's Leyden Address, which is entitled Ether and the theory of relativity. Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but space isn't nothing. It has its vacuum energy, and it sustains fields and waves. Vacuum impedance is a combination of permittivity and permeability:

[math]Z_0 = \sqrt{\frac{\mu_0}{\varepsilon_0}}[/math]

As is the speed of light:

[math]c = \sqrt{\frac{1}{\varepsilon_0 \mu_0}}[/math]

If you go back to Maxwell's On Physical Lines of Force, and in particular page 86, you can see his reference to a screw mechanism. A screw features a twist, which results in turn. One can view permittivity as "twistability" and permeability as a reciprocal of "turnability". They aren't the same as stiffness and density in mechanics, but you can see some similarity with the expression for shear-wave velocity:

[math]v = \sqrt{\frac{G}{p}}[/math]

In this interpretation vacuum impedance is essentially the strength of space. I don't know how else to describe it. Ordinary electrical impedance is resistance to alternating current, and it isn't much different to vacuum impedance, because alternating current is what a light wave is. The typical sinusoidal waveform shows a positive electromagnetic field variation followed by a negative electromagnetic field variation:

360px-Light-wave.svg.png

There's no charged particle shuttling back and forth, so it isn't alternating current as people usually think of it. But the field varies, so there's current of some kind in there. It's an alternating displacement current, going this way ↑ then that way ↓ as the photon goes this way →. And it's a real displacement. For a photon we say E=hf where h is Planck's constant of action. Action has the dimensionality of energy multiplied by time, and also momentum multiplied by distance. Take a look at any picture of the electromagnetic spectrum and the depicted amplitude is always the same:

330px-EM_Spectrum_Properties_edit.svg.png

IMHO what you're seeing in that common amplitude, is the common displacement that underlies Planck's constant. Electron models featuring a spin 1/2 double rotation suggest it's the electron Compton wavelength divided by 2π, or 3.86 x 10ˉ¹³ metres. I don't know why all photons share this feature, and indeed there are some issues with ultra-high-energy photons. But it's what Einstein got his Nobel prize for, see On a Heuristic Point of View Concerning the Production and Transformation of Light. And that was Einstein in on the ground floor of quantum mechanics.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Swanson, this is no idle speculation, and nor is it some new theory. Check out what Einstein said back in 1920:

According to this theory the metrical qualities of the continuum of space-time differ in the environment of different points of space-time, and are partly conditioned by the matter existing outside of the territory under consideration. This space-time variability of the reciprocal relations of the standards of space and time, or, perhaps, the recognition of the fact that “empty space” in its physical relation is neither homogeneous nor isotropic, compelling us to describe its state by ten functions (the gravitation potentials gμν), has, I think, finally disposed of the view that space is physically empty. But therewith the conception of the ether has again acquired an intelligible content, although this content differs widely from that of the ether of the mechanical undulatory theory of light. The ether of the general theory of relativity is a medium which is itself devoid of all mechanical and kinematical qualities, but helps to determine mechanical (and electromagnetic) events.
Edited by swansont
add mod note

How can I be more clear? I hope what I’m saying in this post is not too much, future posts can be more succinct but I think we’re missing the point. I respect and am in no way dismissing your feedbacks, but so far we’re not considering the magnitude of what is being suggested by my new theory. As defined, there is not one single substantiated test of Einstein’s theories or of any other test that is being disallowed. All of what was said in Einstein’s Layden Address and what was included in Maxwell’s paper On Physical Lines of Force which have been substantiated, are in no way contended with. This theory on the ether only goes further to answer any remaining questions.

As I said, this is a new theory on the actual composition (what it’s made of) and functionality (how it interacts with light (EM) energy and all atomic components in all atomic structures, for the propagation and velocity of all EM energy from every source, for the redshift of light from distant galaxies and what is still assumed to be a “gravitational” redshift, for the creation of new matter and the sustenance of all matter in the universe, and for the mechanics of gravitational “force” and observations of relativity) of the elusive ether, as once proposed but later dismissed and all but abandoned with the earth shaking successes of Einstein’s Theories of Special and General Relativity.

That is in no way meant to lessen the extreme value and substantiality of those theories. In fact a great part of the development for my theory is based upon those theories. This new theory does nothing in variance to all the substantiated testing of those theories, it only adds to their value by giving explanation for those still questioned and unproven considerations.

So please let me state it again. As defined, the universal ether is the “dark energy” glue that ties all four interaction forces in Nature together, (and I should have included the phrase: “including the mechanics of relativity and gravitational force,” at this point) bonding all atomic components in atomic structures together in a quantum entropy pattern of motion as required to sustain their interdependent coexistence, is the medium for the propagation of EM radiation, and accounts for the continual creation of new matter as suggested in the Bondi/Gold/Hoyle steady state theory, to maintain an unending existence of the universe. I suggest the new matter thus created constitutes the substance of “dark matter.” How these all interact, yet needs to be thoroughly investigated.

This is not just some quacky brain, pie in the sky proposal. Maybe it is just too much to swallow. Yes, what I’m proposing is a theory that unlocks the mystery of the Grand Unification of Physics which has never been provided before. That’s why I haven’t proposed any new mathematical models because what I’m offering does nothing to alter any models already proven. If a mathematical model is even necessary, that can come later. All proven models in the entire arena of the exploratory investigation of physics are intrinsic to any validity this theory may have.

As posted by swansont, “Relativity already predicts time dilation, redshift, curved space, etc. with great accuracy, and which do not require an aether. There is little room for any other mechanism contributing to these effects.” I respect that comment, but I hope we’re not in any way suggesting that we already know it all. The key words in his observation are “predicts” and “do not require” because many of those predictions are not yet totally substantiated and there are still a lot of unanswered questions concerning all the behaviors I have referred to. Adding the accurately defined ether will fill all the “little room for any other mechanism” remaining. All I ask is that we explore. The end result may surprise us. Thank you.

Swanson, this is no idle speculation, and nor is it some new theory. Check out what Einstein said back in 1920:

1. The OP was off-topic for the thread in which it was posted. That's why it was moved.

2. You responded, so your response was also moved.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Could you please the propose your theory?

Seconded. Stop the tap-dancing.

Farsight what I get from what you are saying, is that Luminiferous Aether can be proven to exist because energy can be detected in what could be called "Empty Space"

but space isn't nothing. It has its vacuum energy, and it sustains fields and waves

The vacuum energy from space is not from Luminiferous Aether, here is what Luminiferous Aether is,

In the late 19th century, "luminiferous aether" (or "ether"), meaning light-bearing aether, was the term used to describe a medium for the propagation of light.[1] The word aether stems via Latin from the Greek αιθήρ, from a root meaning to kindle, burn, or shine. It signifies the substance which was thought in ancient times to contain the manipulative forces beyond control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

The energy from space is in fact due to virtual pairs,

Formally, a particle is considered to be an eigenstate of the particle number operator where is the particle annihilation operator and the particle creation operator (sometimes collectively called ladder operators). In many cases, the particle number operator does not commute with the Hamiltonian for the system. This implies the number of particles in an area of space is not a well-defined quantity but like other quantum observables is represented by a probability distribution. Since these particles do not have a permanent existence, they are called virtual particles or vacuum fluctuations of vacuum energy.[4] In a certain sense, they can be understood to be a manifestation of the time-energy uncertainty principle in a vacuum[5][6].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle

This is far different from the Aether described above. Virtual Pairs are particles that exist temporarily in empty space, they are not a medium through which light moves.

There are many observable physical phenomena resulting from interactions involving virtual particles. For bosonic particles which exhibit rest mass when they are free and "real," virtual interactions are characterized by the relatively short range of the force interaction produced by particle exchange. Examples of such short-range interactions are the strong and weak forces, and their associated field bosons. For the gravitational and electromagnetic forces, the zero rest-mass of the associated boson particle permits long-range forces to be mediated by virtual particles. However, in the case of photons, power and information transfer by virtual particles is a relatively short-range phenomenon (existing importantly only within a few wavelengths of the field-disturbance which carries information or transferred power), as for example seen in the characteristically short range of inductive and capacitative effects in the near field zone of coils and antennas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_particle#Manifestations

Virtual pairs can be looked at as a tangible result of the time-energy uncertainty principle.

One well-known uncertainty relation is not an obvious consequence of the Robertson–Schrödinger relation: the energy-time uncertainty principle.

Since energy bears the same relation to time as momentum does to space in special relativity, it was clear to many early founders, Niels Bohr among them, that the following relation holds:

2f798c6fe7a7ec093ec6fe6d36183044.png

If I have mistaken your views I apologize, no personal offense intended by the post above either (no pun intended). However, if you are saying that energy present in empty space is evidence of Aether (a medium through what light travels in space) you are mistaken.

A very small number of physicists (like Dayton Miller[24] and Edward Morley) continued research on the aether into the first decades of the 20th century. However, no evidence of the sort sought by these individuals has ever passed the tests of modern scientific standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

Edited by toastywombel

Thank all of you who have responded to my new thread. This concept has never been investigated before and may seem a radical proposal because of so much that has been discovered with no need for an ether for the propagation of EM energy. I only want to proceed cautiously because I want to hear from each of you and respectfully respond by accepting anything you have to offer that may help me be more accurate and clear. Please know that nothing I say will be with disrespect for anything you say. I’ve never tried this before and I still have a lot to learn. So please stay with me and help me, and you may be pleasantly surprised. On the other hand, it may lead to a dead end, but let us at least try.

Let us review a little of what I’ve posted so far.

“I suggest that paths of light observed as being bent by a gravitational field; the red shift in an observed light spectrum as it traverses outward in the gravitational field of its source; the red shift in distant galaxies light spectrum assumed to be primarily due to the Doppler Effect caused by receding galaxies in a rapidly expanding universe; geodesic paths of gravitational motion attributed to a curved space-time geometry; dark energy; dark matter; and the relativity of time and energy; are all unified in the substance of a universal “luminiferous aether” (ether) which has never been scientifically defined before.”

Add this: “which has never been scientifically defined before.” which will be defined.

“On that basis I propose the following hypothesis, which without incorporating the ether's functional properties as defined, could never have been presented in this manner. I wrote it in a succinct manner to open the mind to possible investigation of all it implies. So here it is.”

“As defined, the universal ether is the “dark energy” glue that ties all four interaction forces in Nature together, bonding all atomic components in atomic structures together in a quantum entropy pattern of motion as required to sustain their interdependent coexistence, is the medium for the propagation of EM radiation, and accounts for the continual creation of new matter as suggested in the Bondi/Gold/Hoyle steady state theory to maintain an unending existence of the universe. I suggest the new matter thus created constitutes the substance of “dark matter.”

Add this: An answer to the dark energy/dark matter behaviors will be suggested as attributed to an accurately defined ether, which will be revealed.

“Once we consider a valid substance for the ether composition, then we can examine how that substance functions to facilitate the continued propagational trajectory of input photon quanta.”

Add this: “a valid substance”: which will be disclosed

“Then we will examine how matter is created as a result of how the substance of the ether functions to periodically form the necessary spin and flavor of various atomic components, i.e., leptons and quarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, etc., having wave-particle dualities.”

Add this: Answers to both parts of how the ether functions in the propagation of light and in creating new matter will be revealed.

How does your theory work with inertial frames?

An awful lot said. There may have been better chosen words, so please read carefully. Thank you.

Actually, there has been pretty much nothing said. Why don't you use your ether to calculate the phenomena that we should observe in distant type Ia supernovae and in the anisotropies of the background radiation. You know, the observations that are actually used to measure the amount of dark matter and dark energy. If you can't do that with a gravity theory, then you don't have a viable theory.

toastywombel (Molecule)

(Quote) However, if you are saying that energy present in empty space is evidence of Aether (a medium through what light travels in space) you are mistaken.

I’m very familiar with the 19th Century luminiferous aether hypothesis and the fact that the concept as originally postulated has been all but abandoned due to the famous MMX, (1887) and more recently Einstein’s Theory of Special Relativity (1905) wherein he noted that there is no need for an ether frame of reference if it can be shown that time is not absolute, in which he was profoundly successful. Einstein’s mathematical model did nothing to ‘disprove’ the existence of an ether, it only ignored it. Since then further research seeking evidence of such a substance having properties as originally hypothesized has never passed the tests of modern scientific standards.

ajb (Physics Expert)

(Quote) Could you please propose your theory?

It’s time to answer your request. I originally titled my thread “A New Theory……” but the site administrator didn’t think it qualified as a theory so for this forum it’s been relabeled “A New Speculation ……,” By definition, speculation: Conjecture; Assumption; Hypothesis; Theory. So why it got moved to: “other; speculation,” I don’t understand, but for now that’s OK with me. I believe before we’re all done we’ll all agree it truly does qualify as a new theory.

As determined by the format of this forum I will subdivide the overall theory into subject headings as: “new ether composition theory, new propagation of light theory, new mechanics of relativity theory, new mechanics of gravitation theory, and gravitation test sysnthesizer.” As can be told from that, this will be an all inclusive conjecture with two prime subdivisions; Composition and Functionality. The first topic will be “ether composition.” Then there will be three functional property headings followed by a closing suggestion on the design of a test platform which will test the theory validity, that if successful, will shake the world.

Please remember, I am suggesting nothing in variance to any substantiated scientific discovery, but be aware, many things I say have never been articulated before. At the same time, also please consider that my vocabulary will not just be repetition of the scientific jargon used in discussing old theories. We will have to open some considerations which are out of the box, so some of my choice of words and composition will be brand new. I’m sure that many of the things said could be edited and improved and I’m also aware there may be some oppositional replies. I respect constructive criticism but please read with an open mind and don’t jump to any conclusions before completing any particular paragraph.

To refresh your memory, once we consider a valid substance for the ether composition, then we can examine how that substance functions to facilitate the continued propagational trajectory of input photon quanta. Then we will examine how matter is created as a result of how the substance of the ether functions to periodically (in accordance with Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle) form the necessary spin and flavor of various atomic components, i.e., leptons and quarks, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, etc., having wave-particle dualities.

We have a long way to go so let’s get started. So to start with, as for ether composition, I suggest that space is not empty and the substance it’s filled with has very little to do with Virtual Pairs. The problem has been, we’ve been looking for the wrong stuff.

In my years of studying, working with and teaching the principles of electromagnetic (EM) propagation in the U.S. Navy, my major was Height Finding Radar maintenance, repair and instruction. It was during that time when the prime principle involved with this proposal came to my attention. The principle of EM wave interference was employed to facilitate the scan of the radiated beam from a stationary microwave phased aperture array antenna.

Can we agree that as the result of the propagated quanta of all the photon emitting sources in the universe, every “point” in the universe is interlaced with photon energy arriving at that point from virtually every spherically directional coordinate? That energy is there and it will adhere to the principle of EM wave interference. The EM energy wavefronts will be algebraically and vectorally summated through the principle of EM wave interference, to establish an all pervading residual “EM energy field” as a highly complex “Infinite Spherical Matrix of Electromagnetic Radiation,” that has no propagational velocity of its own. This does not contend with or take the place of the microwave energy in the universal CMBR, which can be measured because it has propagational velocity.

As a function of EM wave interference, the full atomic spectrum of photonic EM energy reflects within itself creating an "infinite spherical matrix of multiplexed interdependent standing wave node/antinode dyads and various defined configurations of standing wave segments," at all atomic frequencies with harmonic overtones, having amplitudes, polarities and phases as resultant of the algebraic and vectoral summation of all input photon quanta.

I coin a new acronym as a name for the previously hypothesized luminiferous aether, as a universal Ismer medium having further postulated functional properties yet to be fully investigated. Having no resultant propagational velocity of its own, the energy level of the EM wave matrix (EWM) in the Ismer cannot be detected by present day sensors, but that energy is still there, whether we can measure it with our present sensors or not.

Like I said before, I may have worded what I’ve said in a hundred different ways, but the core premise is what counts. It is on this base that all of what I have to further suggest is predicated. Now that I’ve started, I will continue as allowed, to make full disclosure of all functional properties of the herein defined Ismer and finally propose the design of a test platform for experimental testing.

Enough for now. Thank you.

Edited by Sunsphere

ajb (Physics Expert)

(Quote) Could you please propose your theory?

It’s time to answer your request. I originally titled my thread “A New Theory……” but the site administrator didn’t think it qualified as a theory so for this forum it’s been relabeled “A New Speculation ……,” By definition, speculation: Conjecture; Assumption; Hypothesis; Theory. So why it got moved to: “other; speculation,” I don’t understand, but for now that’s OK with me. I believe before we’re all done we’ll all agree it truly does qualify as a new theory.

By theory we mean a mathematical model of (a part of) nature. You still seem to be unwilling to give us anything of your theory.

It is true that the literature seems a bit vague when it comes to defining the aether, and certainly falls short of what one would require today. This is understandable as the aether is not needed in relativity nor does it seem to be compatible. More importantly, the aether seems non-existent within experimental accuracy. So, what is your aether? You would probably want to state it as a geometric object on space-time, if that is what it really is.

So, please give us something to think about.