Can I use a motor bike for Agriculture

jprsaxena

I am having a old motor bike Engine of 7.5 BHP (146cc). I am interested to use it walking Tractor. Can any one help me, How should I make my imagination a reality. Or provide me the reason why i can't use that engine as walking tractor.

Thanks,

S.Saxena.

well, the big thing about tractors is that they have a lot of torque.

7.5 BHP is plenty of power to do something useful but the torque available might not beall that useful(although there are ways around this, it will require extensive modifications.

To make use of the hp of that engine (that is only available at a high rate of speed) you will have to gear it down. The amount of gearing is dependent on the RPM of the engine, The size of the tires and the speed at which you wish to walk. The gearing will transform the HP into torque that can be used at a walking speed.

If your wheels are 12 inches in diameter and you want to walk at 2 mph:

Each revolution of the wheel is 37.7 feet of travel

To travel 1 mile they have to turn 140 times.

That is 280 times to go 2 miles: so 280 RPH (revolutions per hour) is 2 miles per hour.

4.6 RPM = 2 mph

If the engine is turning at 7000 RPM to get peak power then the engine will have to turn 1522 revolutions for each revolution of the wheels. A gear reduction of 1522:1 is necessary to use the engine for a walking tractor.

Twelve inch diameter wheels = 1 foot diameter

Circumference = [math]\pi d[/math] = 3.14 feet = 3.14 ft/rev

Two mph = 2mi/hr x (88ft/sec / 60mi/hr) = 2.93 ft/sec

(2.93 ft/sec) / (3.14 ft/rev) = 0.934 rev/sec

7,000 rpm = 7,000 rev/min x (1 min / 60 sec) = 116.67 rev/sec

(116.67 rev/sec) / (0.934 rev/sec) = 125:1 gear reduction

7½ hp = 7½ x (550 lb-ft/sec) = 4,125 lb-ft/sec

(4,125 lb-ft/sec) / (2.93 ft/sec) = 1,406 lbs (thrust)

• 4 months later...

Whenever I hear about people going "muddin'" it seems like a good way to till a field for planting. In fact, when you see those images of people bathing in mud at woodstock, that also seems like a good way to till a field for planting. If you want to use your motorbike for tilling soil for planting, why not drive it around the field on a wet day, braking and skidding to tear up the grass or other ground covering? Then you can walk around and pull out the weeds you missed and plant seeds in the bare soil.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever I hear about people going "muddin'" it seems like a good way to till a field for planting. In fact, when you see those images of people bathing in mud at woodstock, that also seems like a good way to till a field for planting. If you want to use your motorbike for tilling soil for planting, why not drive it around the field on a wet day, braking and skidding to tear up the grass or other ground covering? Then you can walk around and pull out the weeds you missed and plant seeds in the bare soil.

That is a very creative idea, but I don't think it is very efficient. When planting, you do not want to compress the soil.

PaulS1950, it was so kind of you to make a mistake, just to make those some of us, who are not as smart as you, feel better.

That is a very creative idea, but I don't think it is very efficient. When planting, you do not want to compress the soil.

Well you could fluff it up before planting. At least the muddin' will have uprooted all the ground cover and aerated the soil, though.

• 1 month later...

I am having a old motor bike Engine of 7.5 BHP (146cc). I am interested to use it walking Tractor. Can any one help me, How should I make my imagination a reality. Or provide me the reason why i can't use that engine as walking tractor.

Thanks,

S.Saxena.

That's cool if you make it

I have ridden motorcycles for 40 years, much of that, at the beginning at least, was dirt bikes, mud can be areal problem for a dirt bike but if you can get the traction you can go through it. The problem with making a motorcycle into a tractor will be traction.

As it happens i have also plowed many a field, mostly with horses and mules but also with tractors. Pulling a plow through a field, even if the dirt is relatively dry will be a problem with the small narrow tires of a motorcycle, add that to the light weight of the bike and pulling that plow is going to be difficult if not impossible at least under the conditions of deep clay that I am experienced with.

I believe that hooking the plow to the motorcycle would also be a problem.

• 3 months later...

As it happens i have also plowed many a field, mostly with horses and mules but also with tractors. Pulling a plow through a field, even if the dirt is relatively dry will be a problem with the small narrow tires of a motorcycle, add that to the light weight of the bike and pulling that plow is going to be difficult if not impossible at least under the conditions of deep clay that I am experienced with.

One thing I have seen done which may help is welding a drive-shaft and second wheel to the rear sprocket, turning it into a trike. Big, low pressure tires help too (they can be un-suitable for motorcross as they corner abysmally).

Something else that is useful in getting torque out of low-torque engine, is a robust clutch, (centrifugal clutches are often seen on farm bikes) or automatic transmission.

All in all, there is probably a fairly good reason why tractors don't look much like motorbikes, it might be a fun project, but I do not think it will be cheaper than acquiring a tractor unless you are a fairly adept mechanic or engineer who does not factor their labour into the costs.

• 2 years later...

Yes you can convert your bike to a micro tractor.one person in Satara district, maharastra has done it.

1.Use a bigger sprocket at rear wheel.

2. At output shaft, from which you drive the chain, mount an extra worm gear pair. The gear can be used to drive all mini implements .