If puppy was thrown from 30 feet high and 40 feet away would it splat or bounce?

Guest Sarah_Mac

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome. My uncle owns a dog boarding business and they have 3 Labs. One black one chocolate and I forget the other one.......
I've never been dog-boarding. Is it like snow-boarding? Do you need special equipment made in one of your uncle's labs?

Haha cool. And Phi for All when I said boarding I meant he looks after other peoples dogs whenthey go away or something. Like boarding school, boarding dogs. I guess another wayt o say it is it's a doggy-day-care. And he breeds them......

I think, that whether or not the puppy survives this event, it's not gonna bounce. It's just gonna hit the ground and go "thud" or "splat".

If you DROPPED it from that high, but they're catapulting it at an angle. So i'd say it'd bounce once, then roll for a few feet. It wouldn't splat, but it would die from internal damage. Thats my hypothesis.

Yes used to have three. Three have died, one very recently. So, all in all I've owned six dogs. Two were very old and had cancer really bad and had to be put down. And one died when he was a year old of hemorhages caused by his apperent 16 ulcers in his intestines that we were unaware of. That explain it?

I think this is a very interesting topic and should be looked into deeply. I think your question should be more specific. It would depend on what kind of puppy, the size,weight, etc. and it depends what what you are dropping the puppy on and the wind can always be a factor, don't forget about the wind. If you throw two puppies of the same kind it still would depend. It's like throwing a rotten apple compared to a ripe one off a building. Think about it.

regardless of it`s horizontal momentum, it would still fall at the same rate as if it were dropped from the 30 foot.

the same applies to a bullet even, you fire a bullet and drop a ball from the same height as the muzzel, providing there`s no elevation on the barrel, both the bullet and the ball will hit the floor at the same time.

needless to say, there will be significant structural damage done to the puppy!

What about the factor of whether it is a puppy or a dog? Puppies would be less developed and more likely to break bones and such.

the same applies to a bullet even' date=' you fire a bullet and drop a ball from the same height as the muzzel, providing there`s no elevation on the barrel, both the bullet and the ball will hit the floor at the same time.

needless to say, there will be significant structural damage done to the puppy![/quote']

I know in principle that is right, but it just doesn't seem so. I would guess that the extreme speed and airodynamicness of the bullet would cause it to stay up relatively longer. Maybe I'm wrong, but dropping a bullet from a foot off the ground means that it lands in much less than a second. I think the bullets fired from a gun stay in the air for longer than that. I'm confused on this one.

What about the factor of whether it is a puppy or a dog? Puppies would be less developed and more likely to break bones and such.
Actually, if puppies are like human kids, their bones are spongier as they're growing and are less likely to break.
I think the bullets fired from a gun stay in the air for longer than that. I'm confused on this one.
I'm confused with jordan on this one. You mean the bullet is fired parallel to the ground while the ball is dropped perpendicular? Please explain YT.

Actually, if puppies are like human kids, their bones are spongier as they're growing and are less likely to break.

Perhaps so. I'm not an expert on this by any means. I'll take your word on it.

I'm confused with jordan on this one. You mean the bullet is fired parallel to the ground while the ball is dropped perpendicular? Please explain YT.

Yes, that's what he's saying. Verticle and horizontal acceleration act independently so while the bullet may be moving horizontal, it is still moving verticly towards the ground at the exact same speed as the ball that is simply dropped. Granted it will have moved a lot further horizontaly, but that energy comes from the gun. I got confused because this works is a vacuum and works very close to perfectly on Earth. I'm still having a tough time picturing it though and it's the extreme velocity of the bullet that's confusing me. But then again the bullet travels at several thousands feet per second so maybe a second to hit the ground isn't all the unrealistic. Hope that makes sense to you cause it doens't to me :D .

Yes, that's what he's saying. Verticle and horizontal acceleration act independently so while the bullet may be moving horizontal, it is still moving verticly towards the ground at the exact same speed as the ball that is simply dropped.
The caliber of the bullet and the powder charge in it make no difference? That's hard to imagine, but I'm no expert.

At first it seems counter-intuitive, but it's not really. Each acceleration is independent. Thus, if you drop a bullet from the height of the barrel at the same instant you fire the gun, both bullets will still hit the ground simultaneously. (this is assuming the bullet produces no lift). A better example is to roll a moving ball off a ledge while simultaneously dropping another ball from the same height.

I'm inclined to say the puppy would bounce :)