Dreams...What do they mean? How are they linked to our everyday lives?

Fellowes

• 2 weeks later...

i've been able to change parts of my dream before. It happened more when i was younger though. I think it's cuz i was homeschooled then and wasn't sleep deprivedish.

but they are ultimately random, because the brain doesn't plan out what the dream will be like, it just happens

i agree w/ you there.

I thought of a theory once, but I haven't had time to check it out. Maybe we have only been sleeping all night for a relatively short time. A lady told me one time that she hurt her toes when she fell because they curled inside her shoes, implying that her automatic reflexes had her trying to grasp with her feet. Maybe something in our nature has us wanting to get up every two hours but it cant overide our current paterns of sleep and wake. So instead we create these little fake realities as a solution.

edit: sorry, I just went back and read some other posts and see this is similiar to them.

• 2 months later...

dreams are related well to sigmund freuds ideas about the id, ego, and super ego. if u are not familiar with this: the id is the unconscious, the ego is the conscious, and the super ego is the knowledge of right vs. wrong.

the unconscious is where supressed feelings, wants, and fears are kept. This is the section of your mind where phobias and things that are taboo reside. when you dream, the unconsious takes control and your dreams express these unconsious feelings and fears. this is why the dreams you have can sometimes relate to what happened recently in your life. if you have a traumatic experience that you repress becuase you dont want to remember it, this will show up in your dreams.

it is possible to control your dreams becuase some people have control over their unconsious thoughts.

for more information....just post another question

Thanks for the reply birdo. I have been pressed for time lately and I haven't been able to devote any time to these interesting subjects.

Edit: Oh I get it. I get an e-mail whenever someone adds to the thread; whether it is a reply to my post or not. Duh.

I've tried to cause a certain dream to happen before .It worked but the events which happened within them cannot be manipulated , your life inside the dream is as natural as how you live your life also .

This is how it happened , I was talking to a beautiful spanish girl who Ive been talking to for about 4 years now , as I was talking about the future I was describing what the future would be like between me & her if we one day decided to meet .

I was feeling a little depressed for the first time in a long time which explains the reason behind this, so we then talked like as if we had met eachother for the first time again .

To the point , after we wished eachother our final farewell & sweet dreams , I took what she said for sweet dreams as truth ( rather than just an 'ok I will' passively ) and then before going to bed I felt alot better after having talking to her .

This what I foreseen and what I have taken into consideration ;

I dreamt and it happened to be my future with me & her , when I woke up

I was much confused about what will happen in the future ,as I asked should I let marriage be or choose to live life without a marriage and just carry on and dedicate my personal life to something I'm passionate about ?

In my wisdom I think , if a women can accept me truly for what I am then that would be something not to be ignored ( that would be selfish if I did),I will try and let things happen naturally as possible and not try to change it to suit my own life & needs for fear of marriage( that would be selfish ) .

I believe as long as I continue to be strong and willed as I am now , Im determined to do only good things and I will not any way be doubtful( or have doubtful dreams) unless sub-consciously I suspect the truth is not what it appears to be ( which will tell me something to be suspicous of for the future ) .