Dreams...What do they mean? How are they linked to our everyday lives?

Fellowes

I've started this thread for exactly what the title says. If someone can explain to me how our brain determines which dreams to have then please by all means do it. When I say 'which dreams to have' I mean I know that our everday lives determine what we dream and that our dreams are usually about something that is of concern to us, but how does our brain decide which areas of our life are most important or which areas of our life that we are having struggles or problems in and then make a dream about that particular problem or situation to try to arouse our conscience mind or brain to do something about it? Or to simply change. I have no clue. That's why I'm asking.

Any help would be great. I've always been curious about dreams........

I think the part of our lives we dream about the most is probably the part of our lives we think about the most during the waking hours. They are also influenced by what you are thinking about just as you fall asleep. I know this happens to me, like if there is a storm outside right before, or as I fall asleep I tend to dream about tornadoes, because I always think about tornadoes during storms. Where as if I am calm, and I listen to a nice song on the radio before I fall asleep, my dreams tend to be of a more pleasant nature.

That's my thoughts on it anyway.

Cool, yeah I agree with you. I would really like to know if there is any sciencetists out there who would explain it to me the real explantaion (I agree with yours too DreamLord) behind dreams. Thanks for your opinion though DreamLord.

I dont disagree with dreamlord but there is more to it. Its not so much what you think about because I dont think about half the stuff I dream. I beleive that your feelings project images that are related to how you feel. Dreams are symbolic to your feelings, its just your subconscious way of translating your feelings.

Yeah I guess so Leison. I've had dreams like that as well. Wolfman your I agree with you too. Your saying that our dreams are powered by our feelings and that draems are just the way our subconscience mind portrays our feelings?

yes this is correct wolfman,

additionally dreams can also be effected by our environment. to prove this an experiment was carried out recently, in which they played a siren to a sleeping person. when the person woke up, they had had a dream about a fire, or some other emergancy, in which they particuarly remembered the vechile's siren. this was carried out on a lot of different people, and was used in official proofs. so was not a one off.

Yes, very interesting as far as I'm concerned. I wonder about some things though......I have dreams about say a dog getting hit by a car and then getting killed and then a week or so later one of my friends' dogs got hit by a car and died. I take this just as a coincidence but maybe there's more to it (I doubt it but it would be cool). Anyway that's my thoughts for now.

thanx for spelling

here's my interesting dreams :

i had seen dreams of strange place,temple and after some weeks during picnics i saw the same place.

during my exams ,i usually see nightmares like not able to reach exam hall in time , not able to finish paper in time and lots more.

talking abt dreams i've a book where there's a story called "the recurring dream" (retold by Arlo T. Janssen) and it's a from England it's a supernatural story but the story is incomplete in the book .so does anybody know anything about this story?

No sorry I have never heard of it. Don't know anything about it. I have also had recurring dreams, from when I was little. I would have the same nightmare over and over about the same things with the same surroundings and the same people .(vampires)

One scientific explanation for dreams is that they help with the storage of memories. When you dream you are really organizing, categorizing, examining, and then restoring the things that you have learned. It is a way of understanding and permanently storing the information that you have learned that day and storing the day's information with the rest of your memories. That would explain why sometimes when you don't know an answer it’s useful to sleep on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, very interesting as far as I'm concerned. I wonder about some things though......I have dreams about say a dog getting hit by a car and then getting killed and then a week or so later one of my friends' dogs got hit by a car and died. I take this just as a coincidence but maybe there's more to it (I doubt it but it would be cool). Anyway that's my thoughts for now.

SMALLVILLE:HEREAFTER comes to mind

the boy in the drama can see the image of how people will die

now you can see the image of how dogs will die~~~

dreams can also be effected by our environment. to prove this an experiment was carried out recently, in which they played a siren to a sleeping person. when the person woke up, they had had a dream about a fire, or some other emergancy, in which they particuarly remembered the vechile's siren.

I often dream of someone shouting, then suddenly wake up, there's really someone shouting under my building, and the words that he/she is shouting is the same as the words he/she shouts in my dream.

quote "It depends mainly upon what stage of sleep you are in when you wake up, and the speed at which you are woken." quote

deams are based on your life.... and also what you hear when you are asleep, (see post #8)

a nightmare occurs for one of several reasons:

1) you hear a noise which reminds you of a scary event

2) you just happen to dream about a scary event. this can be because you were thinking of the event before you went to sleep, or just random, the brain remembering it

3) sometimes it can just be random.... the brain thinks!

4) damn, i had another reason, but i totaly forgot it! soz, if it cums back, i'll post it!

are Nightmares at all usefull (other than to make you feel uneasy for the rest of the day)?

I know that in a large percentage of cases, they can be attributed to me being too hot or getting tangled/twisted in the bed sheets, and it serves to wake me up fast!

so I can see a logic in that, but what of the ones that have no apparent cause?

I think dreams are more a way of keeping the brain processes active/alive.

due to the fact that there is no new external data (or almost none) the brain starts to get data/information out of our memory so it can keep processing.

I think the brain has a real problem when inactive for a long time.

To solve that it's 'fired up' while the body is resting.

just a thought :)

are Nightmares at all usefull (other than to make you feel uneasy for the rest of the day)?

I know that in a large percentage of cases' date=' they can be attributed to me being too hot or getting tangled/twisted in the bed sheets, and it serves to wake me up fast!

so I can see a logic in that, but what of the ones that have no apparent cause?[/quote']

well, it depends.

if you are having the nightmare coz you are recalling a bad event or thought, then its useless.

but if it is an evironment-made-dream, then its probably useful, if you here some guy sneaking round your house, it turns into a dream about robbery, you get scared, wake up, really hear the robber, go and activate your tesa coil and deal with the robber apropriately, then it can be good, in a way!