It's Not What Politicians Say but What We Hear

Syntho-sis

"Whereas those registered as Republicans clearly identified the contradictions voiced by Democrat politicians, they saw minimal contradiction in the statements by Republicans, and vice versa."

That has to be the most unsurprising finding I've heard in some time.

"Whereas those registered as Republicans clearly identified the contradictions voiced by Democrat politicians, they saw minimal contradiction in the statements by Republicans, and vice versa."

About twice as much for the opposing candidate, in case anyone was wondering. Which is pretty significant.

Original study: http://www.psychsystems.net/lab/06_Westen_fmri.pdf

Martin McKee, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and David Stuckler from the University of Oxford argue that "it is possible for two well-informed groups of people faced with the same evidence to reach completely different conclusions about what should be done."

Gee, imagine that -- scientific evidence that intelligent people can agree to disagree.

And here I thought all the evidence pointed to Democrats being right and Republicans being wrong. Wow.

I wonder if supporting Democrats, Republicans or Libertarians is due to genetic predisposition or to environment, or, more likely due to both. People of a certain mindset, IMO, tend to look for people of the same ilk, I suppose and this reinforces certain belief structures. Science Forums are an example.

Incidentally, I just wondered which genes are in play when I speak to my wife and end up with my words totally unheard...???:P

I wonder if supporting Democrats, Republicans or Libertarians is due to genetic predisposition or to environment, or, more likely due to both. People of a certain mindset, IMO, tend to look for people of the same ilk, I suppose and this reinforces certain belief structures. Science Forums are an example.

Incidentally, I just wondered which genes are in play when I speak to my wife and end up with my words totally unheard...???:P

If they disagree with your ideology, are they genetically inferior?

How come some Americans aren't born with a predisposition towards 16th century Russian political classes?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.