Industry CEO to approve my PhD

mgz

Dear All,

I am a slightly anxious person and can never withstand a certain diversion in interview processes.My dilemma is as following:

2 months ago I applied for a PhD (for a research project in an university with industrial collaboration and confidentiality) in Belgium ad after the tough process of PhD proposal, selection and interview with my professor I was selected by him last Sunday. But he mentioned a 'BUT' in the selection mentioning he needs the approval of my candidature from the company's CEO.

This clause was not mentioned in the interview selection process initially. However I understand this legality as it is a confidential project of the company. However, since the mention of 'BUT' by the professor I have not heard from him and am getting anxious. Also, when I asked him if I could carry on with the formalities to get my visa, he asked me to wait.

I am getting nervous as if whether the company's CEO can reject my candidature. Usually I have heard from the professor whenever he has promised to deliver the news at the exact time but somehow he did not meet his schedule this time. Hence I am extremely nervous.

Could someone tell me what are the chances of being refused by the company after such an arduous and hard work in getting selected by the professor?

Any help would be appreciated.

With regards

well it depends on the CEO. there isn't really anything you can do about it but if you keep pestering them to make the decision it may count against you. just chill out and wait for them to get back to you, they're not going to just forget about you if you managed to have a successful interview.

Chances are that your paperwork is just being on someones desk. If the one immediately responsible asks you to wait it is better to do so. Depending on company size it is rather unlikely that the CEO will actually look at your application or interfere with the selection of those directly involved. He/she is probably just having higher priorities elsewhere.

Depending on whether a rough time has been outlined wait for a while and do not pester them.

I understand you may be anxious and that it is "tough" for you, but you have to see that from their point of view. Most likely you are not too high up their priority list (and you can bet on them being busy). Just look at the flipside it is unlikely that they want to go through the whole ordeal of starting another interview round. Of course there may have been another applicant that they want to evaluate before getting back to you (depends really on the process and I am only guessing).

Thanks Charon.

The professor said I was the last one left and only needed a formal approval from the CEO of the company. So I think the best I can do is pray and hope now.

Thanks a lot.

Dear All,

I am a slightly anxious person and can never withstand a certain diversion in interview processes.My dilemma is as following:

2 months ago I applied for a PhD (for a research project in an university with industrial collaboration and confidentiality) in Belgium ad after the tough process of PhD proposal, selection and interview with my professor I was selected by him last Sunday. But he mentioned a 'BUT' in the selection mentioning he needs the approval of my candidature from the company's CEO.

This clause was not mentioned in the interview selection process initially. However I understand this legality as it is a confidential project of the company. However, since the mention of 'BUT' by the professor I have not heard from him and am getting anxious. Also, when I asked him if I could carry on with the formalities to get my visa, he asked me to wait.

I am getting nervous as if whether the company's CEO can reject my candidature. Usually I have heard from the professor whenever he has promised to deliver the news at the exact time but somehow he did not meet his schedule this time. Hence I am extremely nervous.

Could someone tell me what are the chances of being refused by the company after such an arduous and hard work in getting selected by the professor?

Any help would be appreciated.

With regards

You should send him references from the people that gradede your project. If you were to impress them with the references, being that you 'free styled' the project, then you would be in good stead with the boss as they will vouch for you.

Or, you could contact them yourself. If you took a trip down to the office then you could nose in on everyone else's role there and make it clear that you are compatible with the business.

At the end of the day, business and governments (especially governments) take a long time to do anything.

CEO should be able to make the call on the spot, although he may have to notify the board of directors, and then they may take some time to ponder.

It could be that the company has already approved you but is now waiting on the government approval of your visa..

My girlfriend waited 6 months for a visa (mind you we had a bridging visa in the mean time) so the process can take a very long time - you should be prepared for that