Any RPG gamers here?

admiral_ju00

The only thing I've played seriously like that is Diablo 2. And Diablo 2 isn't really an RPG. And it sucks... your life away, that is. RPG's can very, very easily take large portions of your life away, leaving you in a state of bewilderment when you look at the clock and find the hour hand one number before the last time you looked, but it's worth it because - hey! - you gained three strength points!

My brother plays MMORPG's a lot though, particularly Anarchy Online and especially Neocron. He'd play it all night while I was trying to sleep back when we shared a room. If I listen hard enough, I can still hear those city announcer voices:

"Neocron Police Department informs: regular lectures about your responsibility and rights as a Neocron citizen. Weekly at the NCPD in Via Rosso Sector Two."

Yeah I know but did I get my point through that Doom3 is a good game?

Anyway fine enough about Doom3.......I have p[layed Diablo 2 as well and I didn't like it very much....As for Neverwinter Nights, not a bad game, I sold it for credit to buy Doom3 though :) lol

I once spent 16 hours straight playing FFX at my ex-bf's house because I just HAD to complete all the mini-games within the game. My girl friends thought I was insane hahahhaa

I used to love RPGs. Have played FFVII, VIII, IX and X. Then got onto the cartoony Disney one. what was it called......

Not anymore though hahahha. I havent played a computer game in yeeeeaaarrsss :)

I always loved playing AD&D with friends, it is a great game. In computer RPGs most D&D based games are pretty cool. Never played Diablo though, but seems like hack and slash to me. Doom doesnt really seem like RPG either since well the main part of the game is to blast the shit out of the enemy, doesnt matter how as long as it is dead right ? (Can be fun though)

Normally RPGs should have interaction with folks and many stuff other then combat, the entire fun is often to play with friends (in the non computer setting ofcourse) and to let the characters interact and whatever :)

Mandrake

I have to admit that i'm kinda of prejudice to RPGs, since theres so freakin many, and they all come from the world of Anime, which i am HIGHLY prejudiced too, and i think rightly so. Thus considering my prejudice, are there any you'd suggest to me that might transcend the ranks of common RPGS? the main thing i dont like is the hitpoint system, it isn't realistic to take turns in a battle, i also like to have more control over position and attacking, more like Zelda or Metroid where you move constantly and have direct control over your weapon (in contrast to choosing spells and such from a list)

I'm guessing that being RPG fanatics that you've encountered that RPG maker program? I really wish there was a program where you could create you own Super Nintendo style games (such as Super Metroid, one of my favorites ever). I'd probably try to make a game that fits Zelda into that 2D gameplay format. Actually i hear you can do such things with the program but its hard. It'd be cooler if there was a program specially designed for the 2D format.

Zelda also uses an Hit point system in the form of the hearts or whatever.

If you really want to play a good RPG, play AD&D with some friends, the real game i would say. It is a lot of fun since normally it is a game without any bounds, you can do whatever you want in it.

In Gothic II you have direct control over the weapon i think.

So there are surely RPGs on the computer that give you some control. But hey even in the original Zelda you didnt have control of your weapon. You could basically poke and that was it.

Mandrake

For NavajoEverclear Maybe I'm biased in this case, but if you don't like turn-based, anime RPG's (and probably rightly so) then there are a few FPS real-time ones set in the future. I don't know many but one is Planetside, and another is Neocron, which I mentioned before. Neocron is a cyberpunk RPG set in the future and is quite extensive, and incidentally the graphics are pretty good too: http://www.gamershell.com/hellzone_MMORPG_Neocron.shtml

It's all 1st-person (or 2nd-person so that it's just over your shoulder if you want) and real time, like any FPS, so combat's pretty decent.

I've never actually played it, mind you, but I've watched my borther play it for years and I know more about it than some players do. :P It's lined up for expansions and gets regular patches, so it's got quite a bit of playing time left.

Or you could wait a month for the sequel...

I played lineage 2 for a bit. It's fun for a bit until you realize that you are doing the same thing over and over and over and over. But if you like EQ then you might like it. I think Doom 3 is a great overall game. With both an interesting single player game and the multiplayer arenas its like 2 games in one. Cities of Heros seems like a cool game too. I bet you can have hours of fun designing new characters and trying out their powers.