from where do atoms get their energy??

harsh

ok...now i personally belive that some day very soon that law of conservation of energy is going to prooven wrong.......my question is from where do atoms get their energy to continously survive??wont some where down the line energy have to be created??

If by surviving you mean "not coming apart", the energy is called potential energy. The atom stays together mainly because of the strong nuclear force. This force has an energy potential. You can find the energy potential of the force by solving the Diff. Equ. equation F=-Grad V, where F is the force and V is the potential energy. So, you could say the energy the atom needs to survive comes from the strong nuclear force.

well i think law of conservation of energy for sure is breakable.....some thime back there had to be energy and matter creation other wise there would be no universe...and that creationof energy and matter had set in some equibrillic force that stops us from energy andmatter creation , distruction and if we can identify that force then law of conservation of energy can be broken.....and one more question how does the neucleus have P.E......if we can replicate the whole atom using charges can we create energy , matter??

Well, there are everything-from-nothing theories that allow mass and energy to come into our universe WITHOUT violating conservation laws. It's complicated stuff, you might want to check into it. The nucleus has charge, charge creates an electric field, and the electric field can, again, be given in terms of it's potential.

ok...now i personally belive that some day very soon that law of conservation of energy is going to prooven wrong.......my question is from where do atoms get their energy to continously survive??wont some where down the line energy have to be created??

Atoms don't need an energy source to exist. There's no friction or anything similar at that level.

An atom, in fact, has less energy than the constituent particles. Because there are attractive forces (nuclear for the nucleus, as was mentioned, and electromagnetic for the electrons) you can and do form a bound state, which requires the release of energy. Once you have formed that state there is no need to do anything else.

humm intresting but there has to be some dampining force at the lavel aslo ...other wise it can ve compared to a bounded vaccume and i dont think it possible...not sure...but if what u say is rite can be creat an artifiical atom and then there eill be like no need of energy ......

humm intresting but there has to be some dampining force at the lavel aslo ...other wise it can ve compared to a bounded vaccume and i dont think it possible...not sure...but if what u say is rite can be creat an artifiical atom and then there eill be like no need of energy ......

How can an atom be compared to a bounded vacuum?

" Because there are attractive forces (nuclear for the nucleus, as was mentioned, and electromagnetic for the electrons) you can and do form a bound state, which requires the release of energy. Once you have formed that state there is no need to do anything else. "

so if we can replicate the charges to create this attractive forces and form the bound state using other thing , can we create a atom??

Yes and no, harsh. We can create an atom from protons by smashing them together at high speeds and pressures. The process of fusion. Because two protons together weigh less than their individual masses, the difference is converted into energy. Thats what makes the stars shine.

We are within grasp of being able to replicate the conditions in the core of the sun here on earth, hot fusion.

But we still require the protons themselves, the process of creating them would consume more energy than it generates because a protons constituants don't live very long when you have them by themselves.

" Because there are attractive forces (nuclear for the nucleus' date=' as was mentioned, and electromagnetic for the electrons) you can and do form a bound state, which requires the release of energy. Once you have formed that state there is no need to do anything else. "

so if we can replicate the charges to create this attractive forces and form the bound state using other thing , can we create a atom??[/quote']

Any two opposite charges can create a bound state - this happens with Hydrogen and electron/positron pairs, but for the latter the ground state is when they annihilate, so this isn't a particularly long-lived condition.

well i think law of conservation of energy for sure is breakable.....

I read something on newscientist a while back about the 2nd law of thermodynamics breaking down at the nano scale. I believe this was called browning motion or something, check out the nano tech section at http://www.newscientist.com

some thime back there had to be energy and matter creation other wise there would be no universe...

Or, the universe we currently live in could merely be different form of the energy that has always existed. Nothing but speculation when you get into pre-big bang talks.

and that creationof energy and matter had set in some equibrillic force that stops us from energy andmatter creation

If I'm not mistaken, maybe I am, but I believe matter can be created, only energy cannot be created.

I read something on newscientist a while back about the 2nd law of thermodynamics breaking down at the nano scale. I believe this was called browning motion or something, check out the nano tech section at [url']www.newscientist.com[/url]

here is a better link for it. http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/tech/article.jsp?id=99992572⊂=Nanotechnology that is the article he was talking about.

• 4 years later...