The best smoke bomb

Rank0r99

I am an amature at pyrotechnics and I would love it if people with alot of experience with pyrotechnics could tell me ways to make good (high grade) smoke bombs that are semi-safe to breath (breathing in smoke isin't good for you no matter what id assume) like for paint-ball, and also ones to display like a factory smoke stack ;). I am willing to follow all safety procautions and will listen to the experts advice.

thank you

Spencer

I know for a larger smoke bomb you can use an oxidising agent (like potassium nitrate) with and excess of carbon-containing fuel like sugar or flour, you want to add just enough oxidiser to keep the reaction going (and producing smoke, or unburned carbon). Personally I've never tried it exactly like this but it should work with a bit of toying with amount ratios etc.

Starting my truck when it's cold :)

1. Take the turbine out of the turbocharger.
  2. Adjust a few screws so the engine doesn't know that the turbine is missing.
  3. Pull up in front of old granny on the highway.
  4. Floor it!

The ultimate smoke-production recipe. Cummins did this with an engine when testing whether exhaust gases from a rear-facing exhaust pipe would enter a trailer towed behind the pickup truck, potentially poisoning its occupants. It's easier to tell when the exhaust gases are a giant dark cloud...

I know for a larger smoke bomb you can use an oxidising agent (like potassium nitrate) with and excess of carbon-containing fuel like sugar or flour, you want to add just enough oxidiser to keep the reaction going (and producing smoke, or unburned carbon). Personally I've never tried it exactly like this but it should work with a bit of toying with amount ratios etc.

As a bonus, if you get the ratio just right you can get a regular bomb instead of a smoke bomb. >:D Or was that not a bonus?

1. Take the turbine out of the turbocharger.
  2. Adjust a few screws so the engine doesn't know that the turbine is missing.
  3. Pull up in front of old granny on the highway.
  4. Floor it!

The ultimate smoke-production recipe. Cummins did this with an engine when testing whether exhaust gases from a rear-facing exhaust pipe would enter a trailer towed behind the pickup truck, potentially poisoning its occupants. It's easier to tell when the exhaust gases are a giant dark cloud...

It'd probably be easier to have a hose that injects oil directly into the intake...

Also allows you to experiment with different types to see which ones burn the darkest.

Perhaps a certain combination of warm water vapor and carbon dioxide (dry ice) would produce "fogs" that would not sink to the ground or rise into the air. It would be "breathable" in that it wouldn't cause any bodily damage or gag you, and it wouldn't cause damage to most objects except for its warmth and condensation. You would need to ensure enough oxygen is mixed into the fog to stay alive.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In the original question: "...semi safe to breathe...."

Most people wouldn't consider iodine/HI vapor even remotely safe to inhale, being a halogen/strong acid and all ; )

I don't think there exist anything called ".semi safe to breathe." Every thing has some hazardous effect on us in different potentials... I think better avoid inhaling anything that comes out of the reaction vessel.....:eyebrow:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's something that might be useful for you.

sulfur, potassium nitrate, and pitch-----black smoke

zinc dust, hexachloroethane, napthalene-----grey smoke

auramine, potassium chlorate, baking soda and sulfur----yellow smoke

rhodamine red, potassium chlorate, baking soda and sulfur-----red smoke

auramine, indigo, potassium chlorate and lactose-----green smoke

indigo, potassium chlorate, and lactose-----blue smoke

Hope this helps. You could probably look up these, or slightly augmented versions, on Google to find a how to or something.