Computer security advice

inamorata

yub yub admiral,

if you have a wireless network, without data encryption turned on, anyone with a wireless network reciever can pick up your signal,

this leads to internal network hackers, and other people using your bandwidth. this encryption can slow down data as it needs to be encrypted at one end, and un-encrpyted at the other, this makes wireless networks slower than wire ones, however, as the radio/micro-wave signals travel at the speed of light, this is faster than wires, so it makes up for it.

If you're thinking of a wireless router, make sure that you turn on the WEP, otherwise it's a free internet for your neighbors.

The contract we have with our ISP actually specifies that WAN owners must ensure they do not allow others to use their bandwidth.

:eek:

The contract we have with our ISP actually specifies that WAN owners must ensure they do not allow others to use their bandwidth.

A) how can your ISP tell? without actually coming to your house

B) who cares, you have a limited bandwidth, what do your ISP care who's using it?

just curious, outta interest, who are you with? [which ISP]

A) how can your ISP tell? without actually coming to your house

B) who cares' date=' you have a limited bandwidth, what do your ISP care who's using it?

just curious, outta interest, who are you with? [which ISP']

A) They can't (well, not with any great accuracy),

B) If the occupants of the house on either side of mine use my connection, that is two new contracts the ISP is missing out on,

C) NTL.

C) are they any good? i dont know.... obviously, thats why im asking!

They're adequate.

They do things like randomly upgrade your bandwidth free of charge, and ignore certain naughty uses of the connection, which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I do realize this theared is rather "old" at the time of posting but I felt like i needed to share this:

It's not a good idea to rely only on hardware based firewalls like those found in small(home/small office) routers as they only block unrequested incoming trafic, and many of those can be bypassed using specialy forged packets that ignore the standard TCP. For maximum protection you should also have a well configured software firewall with packet filtering capabilities. Also pretty much every web-based firewall testing tool out there is highly inaccurate. The only real way to test your firewall is to do so on your own network using the same methodes a script-kiddy would use. If it passes, then you can feel safe as there is no real way (other then pulling the plug or using a hardend system) to stop a skilled and dedicated cracker from gaining enterance.

very kind of you to point that out, may i point out to you that most of us do use a sperate software firewall.

apparently there are loop holes in some firewalls which allow hackers to hack into your system through the firewall itself, although i cant say much more on the subject [because i dont know, not coz i dont want to!]