Windows 7 64 bit question

PaulS1950

The version most people are using at the moment is Visual Studio 2008, and it runs fine under Windows 7. You don't have to run it in Windows XP Compatibility Mode. They just released Visual Studio 2010, which, as you might expect, also runs just fine under Windows 7.

(2008 ran fine under Vista as well. 2005 had some minor, cosmetic issues with Vista, but the editor and compiler worked fine.)

I am sorry, I forgot to add the version # that I have. It is version 6.0 Visual C++.

I am reluctant to buy a new version because the cost isn't compatible with my hobby programming needs.

If I have to get a newer version to produce software is there a good windows 7 compatible freeware alternative? (complete IDE)

I do mostly hobby programming - no net pages - so the standard IDE would work fine.

I checked the site out and downloaded the c++ 2010 version and did some reading. They have finally standardized C++ so it is compatible accross OSs. That is great but can I use the "console based" programs in Windows or do I have to use the GUI based programs?

I do mostly hobby programming - no net pages - so the standard IDE would work fine.

I checked the site out and downloaded the c++ 2010 version and did some reading. They have finally standardized C++ so it is compatible accross OSs. That is great but can I use the "console based" programs in Windows or do I have to use the GUI based programs?

The free Express Edition includes the command line Microsoft C++ compiler utility (I believe it's "cl.exe")

Thanks! I found it and it runs in a "dos" window. I don't think any programs written and compiled wi cl.exe would work in a windows environment.

I guess I am going to have to learn how to use the gui development package.

I will have to get some books I suppose.

Can anyone recommend some books that cover the GUI and ANSI C++?

Just so you know as you start to dig into this, the GUI today is, I believe, referred to as "Windows Presentation Foundation". But most of the discussion focuses on C# and I don't think C++ gets much attention in that arena anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with C++, of course, but if you want a book it'll probably have to be a C# book. If you do make that switch you'll probably find it very easy. Same syntax, just a lot more automation, no more pointers, and some cool tricks like generics.

I'm a big fan of the Wrox titles, but I can't recommend one on Visual Studio 2010, since I haven't even run that version myself yet.

One suggestion I can make is that you look around the Web for videos first. Video tutorials have lead a revolution in programming in recent years, and I think they really push the boundary back on how fast people can learn. One site I'm particularly fond of, and often recommend to my students, is LearnVisualStudio.NET. Basically for the price of a book you can get all the videos you could possibly want, and they really cover the subject well.

Thanks! I found it and it runs in a "dos" window. I don't think any programs written and compiled wi cl.exe would work in a windows environment.

That's the same compiler Visual Studio uses and can certainly compile GUI apps. I thought you wanted to develop with command line utilities.

I am used to programming in C and C++ for DOS - I know it "old school" and i have run into the "Windows Wall". All my old programs can't access printers or most other periferals because of the Windows controls over them. So I will be re-writing (and updating) my old software so it is fully functional again. It all has to be windows software compatible so I can print things out. with the latest OSs that aren't DOS based I can't even run them. I was hoping to find equivalent software but there just isn't anything that comes close enough to do what I want / need.

I guess I will learn what ever it takes to stumble through the GUI interface. I don't want to have to write all the code to keep Windows happy and the IDE will do that for me.

(at least as far as I understand it)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Hey,

I want to thank you for helping this old man! It is too easy to forget that i am getting help from other people when I am on this computer and I am ashamed of myself fo not saying thank you earlier.

All of you have been a big help so far and I may be back often to ask more questions.

I am going to look into the videos and local classes to help bring me up-to-date with my skills.

Again,

Thank you all.

Paul

If you are running of a PC who's processor supports multiprocessing for VMs then Windows 7 supports a nifty new Virtual Machine application that comes with a fully licensed copy of XP for free. When you install that version of VM and install an application to the virtual XP it gets an icon added to your windows 7 tool bar as if the XP app was installed on Windows 7.

You can run that application in a fashion that appears to be a native program in Windows 7 but is instead running natively in XP. It's pretty slick, and a Godsend for those of us that like to hold on to older software.

Thanks jryan, but my software was developed for DOS. XP still removes the control of the printer from the software. All applications have to hand the print job to the OS to access the printer. It is good in that you don't need to have a piece of software with drivers for all those different printers in it but at the same time it is hard on DOS programs because they don't talk to (nor even aware of) the OS that is running everything that is external to the processor.

I have considered putting together a dedicated DOS computer but I am not sure I am up to doing it. All the techs I know never even heard of DOS. Then again that would just put an end to my educational growth - and that day will come soon enough.

Have you tried it? I have a customer with an old Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS app. It broke hard under Windows 2000, but under XP it went right back to working again. They don't have to print, though, and I can see where that might be an issue.

Have you looked around to see if there might be something like a DOS print spool trapper or something on the shareware market?

Well, it has been 25 years since I wrote some of this software but I think the calls to the printer (text only) was via fprintf(stdprn,"xxx");(usually a string or pointer to a string)

I may want to print graphs, pictures or diagrams and text.

The software will need to be brought into the 21st century although the information probably won't change much - just the manner and form of output. I will dress it all up in nice windows instead of the shadow borders I used in the original.

I still have the C code for most of the programs - one I will have to rewrite from the start but it needed to be updated back when I wrote it. I just hope I can find the sources of information again. (maybe I will find newer and better sources this time)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Have you tried it? I have a customer with an old Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS app. It broke hard under Windows 2000, but under XP it went right back to working again. They don't have to print, though, and I can see where that might be an issue.

Have you looked around to see if there might be something like a DOS print spool trapper or something on the shareware market?

Pangloss,

The programs ran in the XP dos window but without printout it was almost worthless. (partly poor planning when writing the programs - I didn't print all the information on the screen in two of the programs)

I haven't looked for any DOS print spooler to adapt the software for windows - I think I would rather update the software as a learning process anyway. At my age it is important to keep learning!

Thanks Pangloss,

I will need some tutoring and I may sign up for on-line classes - my back won't let me sit long enough to go to the community colleges. So, if any of you have some secrets about the C++ 2010 and where I can find libraries of the functions, header files and key words i would appreciate it. I am sure there are some that were kept through the ANSI changes but I rerally need those and the only book I found hasn't been released yet.