Eyjafjallajökull!!!

bascule

I haven't really seen a thread specific to this yet, but I've been reading a lot of speculation about the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull which recently erupted and severely disrupted European air travel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_eruptions_of_Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull

Specifically, I've read that Eyjafjallajökull sits next to a larger volcano named Katla, that has always erupted after Eyjafjallajökull erupted. If so, this could mean prolonged disruptions to European air travel.

Oh yeah, by the way... here's a photo:

icevolcano_fulle.jpg

Edited by bascule

Since the eruption has been going on for a while, and historically can last for years, I'm wondering if this will result in a temporary global cooling? I haven't heard any estimates on this though, so maybe its not enough ash (or maybe the media is only focusing on the travel disruptions).

Regarding travel, if this continues for a long time the Europeans will need to utilize their excellent train network for inter-European travel and to send passengers to whichever airports are open for global travel. Fortunately for them, their train system is probably flexible enough to do so IMO (with possible exceptions being England, Ireland and Scandanavia which are separated from the continent).

Scandanavia is not separated from the continent and since 2 July 2000 the Oresund Bridge between Sweden and Denmark has been opened for public traffic.

"The Øresund or Öresund Bridge (Danish: Øresundsbroen, Swedish: Öresundsbron, joint hybrid name: Øresundsbron) is a combined two-track rail and four-lane road bridge-tunnel across the Öresund strait. It is the longest combined road and rail bridge in Europe and connects the two metropolitan areas of the Öresund Region: the Danish capital of Copenhagen and the Swedish city of Malmö. The international European route E20 runs across the bridge and through the tunnel via the two lane motorway, as does the Öresund Railway Line. The construction of the Great Belt Fixed Link and the Øresund have connected mainland Europe to Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

Scandanavia is not separated from the continent and since 2 July 2000 the Oresund Bridge between Sweden and Denmark has been opened for public traffic.

"The Øresund or Öresund Bridge (Danish: Øresundsbroen, Swedish: Öresundsbron, joint hybrid name: Øresundsbron) is a combined two-track rail and four-lane road bridge-tunnel across the Öresund strait. It is the longest combined road and rail bridge in Europe and connects the two metropolitan areas of the Öresund Region: the Danish capital of Copenhagen and the Swedish city of Malmö. The international European route E20 runs across the bridge and through the tunnel via the two lane motorway, as does the Öresund Railway Line. The construction of the Great Belt Fixed Link and the Øresund have connected mainland Europe to Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

I was not aware of this bridge (thanks!), though I did know about the chunnel between England and France. Still, there is a limit that a single bridge or tunnel can transport as opposed to multiple routes which exist on the continent...I don't know whether these, plus ferries, would be sufficient to meet the transportation needs of England and Scandanavia or not. We might soon find out.

• 1 month later...

The saddest part of the situation is that this volcano, by itself; has wiped out the last five years of trying to save our planet by the green team. What if Vesuvius, Krakatau, "Eyku" and Mt. St. Helens all decided to go off at once, other than having Al Gore's reputation either expunged, or at least highly questioned? Hydrocarbons?, "WOW"

Edited by rigney

The saddest part of the situation is that this volcano, by itself; has wiped out the last five years of trying to save our planet by the green team. What if Vesuvius, Krakatau, "Eyku" and Mt. St. Helens all decided to go off at once, other than having Al Gore's reputation either expunged, or at least highly questioned? Hydrocarbons?, "WOW"

The net radiative forcing effect of volcanic eruptions is negative, because the primary change they induce is filling the air with reflective sulfites which raise the earth's albedo by reflecting more sunlight back into space.

If anything, these eruptions will forestall global warming.

Hi, I am enjoying this site immensely although very much a layman (am bigging myself up there LOL) I read Sh3rlocks post about global cooling, and forgive my naievety (sic) but I first took the comment as maybe a good thing about the ash cloud, as it forced a condition where planes could not fly and add to the pollution of our atmosphere, but now I am thinking on different levels, would some global cooling be a welcome thing? is the volcanic ash less harmfull than the thousands of planes that would have flown had it not happened?

I also thought about this event as something that could very well happen annually for a very long time, if so will it be a positive thing for those who want climate change?

Thank you for reading my rookie thoughts, but this forum is helping me to think out of the box and consider things in a completely new way, I am really enjoying myself here, maybe i should get out more? LOL.