Is Mental Time Travel Possible as shown in Butterfly Effect

Archon1919

Hi there,

My question is :Will humans be able to travel through time using their minds instead of bodies as shown in the movie The Butterfly Effect?

The subject has been of interest to me since I was little and saw movies such as Somewhere in Time and later on the Fox TV movie 12:01.

And if so: What kind of neurophysical mechanism would it take to generate such a phenomena?

Any theories on the matter are welcomed.

Archon1919

that was aa good movie but it didnt explain anything really. I dont think time travel is possible.

if you where to travel back in time and change something and then go back to the future u will have never gone baack to change that thing.

• 11 months later...
even the Best scientists in the world can't figure out why its like that, einstein didn't completely understand it either.

that's rubbish. anyone who is capable of looking at the events chronologically can see the error in logic.

Time travel is possible, but you can't change anything, because it would have already been changed and you would be living the effects. For example, What if a man was one day walking across a street in New York, and a car suddenly barreled at him, and he froze, and from somewhere across the street a bullet shot out, hitting him in the leg, saving his life, but causing him to be crippled for the rest of his life.

Later in his life, time travel is invented, and he volunteers to go back in time and see if he could change his past so that the last few years of his life could be spent out of a wheelchair. He brings a gun with him, since it is New York, and very dangerous. He travels to where the incident happened, to the spot on the side of the road from which the bullet came, and sees himself. Then, he sees the car coming straight at his past self; his past self stares, spellbound. The car comes closer and closer, and still, his past self doesn't move. Finally realizing that the bullet wasn't coming, and his past self was going to be hit by the car and be killed, he does the only thing that comes to his mind; he shoots his gun at his past self. His past self's leg gets hit and he tumbles out of the way, just in time. He was the one who shot himself.

So you see? You can technically change the past, but the changes you make would have already affected your future self, and so, in essence, nothing can be changed.

hallucinogenic*

I don't think physical time travel will ever be possible because there are too may paradoxes that can arrise. Unless you look into the "Many Worlds" idea.

I'm not looking for another arguement about paradoxes like this caused last time, just in my opinion i dont think it can be done.