Fluid Mechanics

justPAB

Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience working with Fluid Mechanics. I mean, I'm not taking these classes yet, I just want to know general information about it. I know it deals with fluids (eg. liquids, gases, and plasmas) and the forces they interact with. Anyone have any more information or any comments on Fluid Mechanics? :cool:

Fluids tells us about the properties of ideal and real fluids in static and dynamic situations. This is a tool the Chemical engineer might need when looking at static and continuous flow processes.

Advanced "fluids" makes use of continuum mechanics. Continuum mechanics is essentially 3-D calculus, since the properties of some fluids can be different in each direction. A flow through a pipe, has the fastest movement along the center liner, but will get sticky near the walls of the pipe and move slower. If this fluid was a plastic, viscosity can then have a radial distribution; shear thinning. One may need to model this, so the final process is predictable.

To this basic fluid analysis, we may also need to add thermodynamic, heat, and mass transfer considerations, since the fluid properties are also dependent on these. One may even need to add the influence of reaction kinetics on the fluid, if we are reacting different substances, since the fluid will be changing composition, as its moves down the pipe.

Introduction fluids is calculus in 1-D with fixed parameters.

I've learned fluid mechanics before and just pass it with B ( I hate my lecturer for this subject). Basically in fluid mechanics 1 (Fundamental) things that i've learned were such hydrostatics, buoyancy, water jet, flow in pipes and orifice. Then i've continue with fluid mechanics 2 (Application) and it was divided into two major parts, compressible and incompressible flow. If you suck in math, it will become a problem because most of the topics are just full with formulas, integration and derivation ( I hate most Von Karman integral). What i learned:Boundary layer, compressible flow, drag, pump and turbine ( I got 90% in this test), incompressible flow, mach number and other that i can't remember.

Good Luck & Have fun