corporal punishment to children

swaha

i am not a parent or a teacher, but have faced & seen some horrible things personally & believe all should come forward to stop these.

i think corporal punishments is required to be banned due to the fact that people are putting their frustrations on kids in the name of corporal punishments & parents are trying to pressurise them for being the topper in schools.........

a friend of mine when i was in school had got beaten by her mother with a rod on her head for not being 1st in the class but third.

a teacher from our school killed a kid of 8years for not doing her homework. she got away by paying rs 2000 fine.

a fathe killed his 14yr old kid trying to make him a table tennis champion from my city. he got only 5years jail.

if u think these should be stopped pls come forward and along with giving the kids education about giving respect to elders also tell them the limits where all should stop & donot scare them by punishing often.

people teach children to respect their elders for they are always right & whatever they do is good for them which is a pure myth of today. & when such "goods like i posted are happening in this world their limitations should be taught to the kids also so that they may be safe. & such inhuman people should be punished in such a way that they dont dare ever think of doing such things ever.

i have a small request to the moderators here to please keep this thread though it may not be exactly a religious topic, yet sometimes people(specially parents & teachers) get support from their religions regarding myths like they only know the highest good of children.

pls brothers & sisters come forward to stop this mistreatment to chidren & give them their happy childhood. & remember children r the best gift of God.

God bless.

well, I was paddled in school(6th grade) for forgetting to have my test signed by my parents - I made a 97 on that test. It didn't teach me never to forget, what it did was piss me off and I went from a straight A student to getting an F in that class(science) the next quarter. Yeah, I showed that teacher. :doh:

Anyway, I got over it. But, I had more problems from Aholes that needed some discipline. I don't think corporal punishment is needed, but punishment is needed. Having undisciplined monkeys running amok is a severe punishment for students that retards their potential growth.

This is a discussion forum, not a soapbox to launch an international campaign for or against anything. Feel free to discuss this subject, especially with regards to how your religion supports or represses corporal punishment, but realize that anyone who disagrees with you is not to be ostracized by a campaign mentality.

I'm saying this strictly as a member who knows the rules, for now. I don't see any reason why this subject can't be discussed rationally, but generalizations and blanket condemnations will be under scrutiny. Let's play nice. :)

My daughter hasn't respond well to corporal punishment in the past, so it's not a tool I use anymore. I know kids, especially boys, where it does work in moderation. I think the OP cites some very extreme examples, and I would suggest that perhaps sterner measures should be put in place to combat cases like this in the future, like more severe sentences when punishment results in permanent injury and death. There is a huge difference between a few motivating swats on the backside and a beating that draws blood or worse.

Edited by Phi for All
clarification

pls answer me on ething. when u use corporal punishment on ur kids did u remember that the rule she broke was for her good all the time or u just expressed ur anger on her explaining urself why did she didnt listen to ur rules? if u did remember the 1st point all the time u r a good parent, u may choose punishment for ur kid for sure. but today u cannot put it to a general case because people have lesser patience & love. u may disagree with me for sure & i am not against all kinds of punishments but certainly against cruel irrational ones. there are other ways to treat children.

the problem with the child torture cases is that when any race / community gets tortured they have to learn their rights to protest but regarding child tortures actually parents & teachers should learn it before & go against it. pls do give ur views but do think of my point.

swaha, there is big difference between spanking your child and beating the hell out of them. I started both my boys out when they were just toddlers by taking their hands in mine and saying no gruffly when they would reach for something I didn't want them to do, or swat on the butt when they did something wrong, by the time they were 5 or 6 i no longer had to punish them in any way other than showing disapproval through speech instead of popping them.

I never actually hurt them, the punishment was more along the lines of showing my disapproval than pain. A child has to shown love and approval for behaving as well, good behavior has to be rewarded. Rewarding good behavior is as much or more important than punishment. The most important thing is to be constant, do not punish them for one thing and later ignore it. Both my boys are great kids, they did well in school and either have or are graduating from universities.

You can't ignore a child's behavior until they are teenagers then try to beat them, it will only make them more defiant. Too much punishment is as bad as not enough. actually inflicting pain on a child is counter productive and will only serve to cause them to seek ways to get around your rules instead of looking to follow them.

I have no problem whatsoever with corporeal punishment. Like any other punishment, it has to be done properly, consistently, and neither too little to make a difference nor too excessive for the misdeed. It's perfectly possible to go overboard with non-corporal punishment, such as locking up a child in a dark basement for a few days. The trick is to distinguish punishment from abuse.

the problem is "you have no problem" because u were not the victim na! even a killer gets a lawyer in its favour but regarding punishments for kids they dont have anything to protect them or say in its favour.locking for few hours in dark should be enough i dont think it requires days. if doesnt work try something else.

true there is difference between smacking & beating but wont reasoning be better?

good behaviour is required from everyone both from kids & parents especially parents towards kids.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

corporal punishments/ physical tortures requires ban because people are loosing their own patience. when all supported it it was the time the parents inflicted corporal punishments out of sorrow. today its a question of ego. "why wont he listen to me?", "why wont he go for tuitions?". i remember when i used to be beaten up i hardly understood why what i did was wrong. i was once harshly beaten up for not going to bath. at a far later date i understood that they had some important work for which they were in a hurry. what i still dont understand is why they couldnt have told me or did their work in which i was never involved.

in 11th standard i got beaten up for asking a teacher why she was angry with a friend of mine whom she wanted to turn out of the class for she didnt respond to the attendance being called when everyone was talking. infact it was the tecaher's fault not to have mede them quiet before attendance. none of us who werent taliking heard her start the attendance registration.

the problem is "you have no problem" because u were not the victim na!

corporal punishments/ physical tortures requires ban

You have already been told that you are confusing punishment with abuse. Can you not understand the difference at all?

Physical tourture IS banned already - mild punishment for wrongdoing is not and should not be.

the problem is "you have no problem" because u were not the victim na!

Of course I wasn't a "victim". My parents occasionally spanked me when I did something wrong. I know I deserved it, and I knew why I was being punished.

locking for few hours in dark should be enough i dont think it requires days. if doesnt work try something else.

How about for a few weeks or months? Eventually it becomes abuse, whether corporal or not.

true there is difference between smacking & beating but wont reasoning be better?

Sometimes. Sometimes it won't work in the least. But reasoning would be better in the cases where it works.

corporal punishments/ physical tortures requires ban because people are loosing their own patience.

Physical torture and child abuse are already banned.

i remember when i used to be beaten up i hardly understood why what i did was wrong. i was once harshly beaten up for not going to bath. at a far later date i understood that they had some important work for which they were in a hurry. what i still dont understand is why they couldnt have told me or did their work in which i was never involved.

Well that is clearly where they made 2 mistakes: first, since they didn't tell you ahead of time, you didn't do anything wrong. Second, since they didn't tell you why you were being punished, the punishment was ineffective and counterproductive. Yes, I would consider this more abuse than punishment, since it would be very ineffective for changing behavior.

locking for few hours in dark should be enough i dont think it requires days.

Are you serious about this topic? Teaching through fear is definitely a wrong way to go I think, there's no reason to develop your childs fear of the dark by locking them in a dark closet to be terrified. Better to hang them in a harness over a few moving blades that slowly lowers itself, or get a really mean dog and put them in a tree above the dog while it tries to get them...

Personally, I'm in support of spanking children to moderation, but it just doesn't work the way most parents think it does. Also - if parents can't raise their own children, they shouldn't have children, there's no reason for a school to spank my children. (a close friend was actually made to bleed because the principle went too far in spanking...I think this can, and did, provoke an extreme response in the parent, if you're gonna deal with children, calm the eff down)