Whats the longest you have gone without sleep.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going on 102.5 hours since I have been asleep. I don't know why I can't sleep and it really bugs me. I try really hard and I have a feeling that 4 days without sleep is not a good sign. Also, I have to take the ACT in 2 days. I better go to sleep soon! But.....how??? and many people have said they had hallucinations but I haven't had one weird:confused:

I didn't sleep for 9 days about 3 years ago. There was this online game I played and they reset the scores and I really wanted to be in first. After 40 hours of playing, I got in first and wanted to stay in first. I only took little breaks but I never slept.

I've heard it's hard to stay up but what I experienced was very different. It was hard at first but then it got easier. It was interesting how the hardest sleepy hits would always come around the sametime every day. 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. was when the sleepyness hit hard, after I got past that time of the day, I was fine. My eyes were sore but my body wasnt getting any weaker, it was just running on low gas the whole time. What im saying is the 9th day was no harder to stay awake then the 3rd day was. As a matter of fact, making it to day 2 was harder then making it to day 4 5 6 7 8 and 9. I'm sure without all the caffeine and excitement from the game, it would of been a harder task but I kept going.

The only thing that really happened to me is my center of balance would shift on me every now and then when walking around. I slept for 16 hours when I finally did go to sleep. When I woke up I wasnt even on the top 100 list in the game anymore. I stayed up for another 30-40 hours trying to get back on it before I went to sleep again.

Nowadays I have trouble making it past the 24 hour mark. Certain things can happen though to charge you up and make it easier. If you sit still watching tv trying to stay awake, your in for alittle trouble. My family doesnt believe me, they think that's impossible. I think you just need the right stimulation, my body never shut down on me or anything like that, I was just running on low the entire time.

• 2 weeks later...
The Army uses tabasco sauce in there eyes to stay awake.

OUCH!!! :-(

The longest ive gone without sleep is 36 hours probably.

P.S. If the author of the thread doesnt mind and/or the moderators i would like to ask a question in addition. How long have you slept??

My record was 48 hours. lets say alcohol + 2yr old = very sleepy child.

• 3 weeks later...

The first time was 3 days and i felt like a colibri and my cheese toast was talking to me. I just couldn't sleep. The second time i forced myself to about 5 days or a week, but i guess i experienced this "micro-sleep". Anyway, i don't recommend it to anyone! It has long-term-side-effects! It damages your brain and shortens your lifespan!

I have been looking for answers as to why I am unable to sleep for years now.

I have read that the longest sleep record for a person is about a week or so.

And the longest that a person has been unconcious is someone who's

been in a coma for 44 years.

My situation is different. In 1993 I contracted Lyme Disease. I was misdiagnosed several times and my condition became chronic.

In late 1993 I woke up one morning two days after removing an engorged

deer tick from my leg. I had the typical flu-like symptoms many Lyme patients

describe as their first symptoms' date=' which only got worse in the days ahead.

From that day on, the minute that I would start to fall asleep I would immediately stop breathing and get what I would refer to as jolted.

Over the years and much long-term treatment for chronic Lyme I would get to the point where I would rarely ever even approach the state of starting to doze off. I would just rest in nap like fashion, without ever falling into a state of unconsciousness.

I can rest in this way, but never fall asleep. This has been going everyday

for 12 and a half years.

I have given up even trying to figure out why my brain will no longer allow

me to fall asleep. Although I do suffer from neurolgical damage from refractory illness. All I know is that I am never in an unconcsious state.

I go to bed at night like everyone else, except I lay awake all night long.

To those who say this is impossible, I say it is not. I am living proof that you can exist without sleep for years on end as long as you give your heart a rest by getting off your feet.

I am looking for any other people who have had similar experiences, even if they are now able to fall asleep again.

It's exhausting and very frustrating not to be able to fall into a state of unconsciousness.

Over the years I have actually had family test me to see if this was true,

by coming over to me as I appear to be sleeping. One night I heard one of them say "you see I told you that it was impossible for anyone to not fall asleep for that long."

And then I answered them saying but I am not asleep and can hear every word you just said..

They were surprised to say the least.

I have no doubt that at this time I have stayed awake longer than any person on this planet. I would just like to find others who have had to deal with this.

I have also taken sleep meds in the past and while they make me very groggy

have yet to enable me to reach an unconscious state..[/quote']

I can sympathise with you. Usually I have no problem sleeping, and can sleep whenever I want for however long.

But!!! About a month ago I had an incident where I just couldn't sleep for 2-3 nights. It was exactley as you described. I would just lie awake all night listening to the sounds. Strangly enough I didn't get tired at all during this time. It started to really freak me out. It may have had something to do with stress since I was in exams at the time. However that has never happened to me before so I don't see why it would this time.

Eventually I just got really really wasted and passed out and it was just like a switch back to normal again. I was pretty relieved.

About 31 hours.

Hah !!! - I beat you :embarass:

grr...

In the summer when there's no school I'll try again. 30 hours was really hard on me though; I had headaches, I couldn't eat, and I almost couldn't even get into my bed when I went to sleep again.

I have done double all nighters on at least 2 occassions. Not sure about the third. Hard to tell sometimes if a cat nap is 10 seconds or 10 minutes when you are that tired. Once was in school. Once was for work. Once was during graduate school. Not healthy, especially when you are older. I think it causes brain damage. In the very least I think it makes you more prone to mental illness. Seemed like a good idea at the time though. Loads of fun.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

I didn't sleep for 9 days about 3 years ago. There was this online game I played and they reset the scores and I really wanted to be in first. After 40 hours of playing' date=' I got in first and wanted to stay in first. I only took little breaks but I never slept.

I've heard it's hard to stay up but what I experienced was very different. It was hard at first but then it got easier. It was interesting how the hardest sleepy hits would always come around the sametime every day. 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. was when the sleepyness hit hard, after I got past that time of the day, I was fine. My eyes were sore but my body wasnt getting any weaker, it was just running on low gas the whole time. What im saying is the 9th day was no harder to stay awake then the 3rd day was. As a matter of fact, making it to day 2 was harder then making it to day 4 5 6 7 8 and 9. I'm sure without all the caffeine and excitement from the game, it would of been a harder task but I kept going.

The only thing that really happened to me is my center of balance would shift on me every now and then when walking around. I slept for 16 hours when I finally did go to sleep. When I woke up I wasnt even on the top 100 list in the game anymore. I stayed up for another 30-40 hours trying to get back on it before I went to sleep again.

Nowadays I have trouble making it past the 24 hour mark. Certain things can happen though to charge you up and make it easier. If you sit still watching tv trying to stay awake, your in for alittle trouble. My family doesnt believe me, they think that's impossible. I think you just need the right stimulation, my body never shut down on me or anything like that, I was just running on low the entire time.[/quote']

You realise the top 100 players or more on most gaming tables have more than one player on the account and the account is played perminatly.

The longest i have stayed awake is about 36 hours, i feel really ill if i don't sleep so i tend not to try it for to long.

What an interesting thread. I just recently have started to have sleeping problems myself, a bit unusual, but I was beginning to get less and less sleep prior. I actually started to write a series of journal entries at the beginning of it, written at the same time, around 4:30 am or so, because I study human behavior a little more seriously than others (and I'm just a nerd).

It officially started on the 8th of this month when I pulled an all-nighter to finish an English assignment featuring the holocaust. Not a pretty subject. I was finished around 3:00, but couldn't get to sleep after. I figured it was the result of studying and writing about horrible images for several hours. For the record, I already thought it was unnatural, because I could honestly look at any of the images on rotton.com and not be morbidly disturbed (not that I make that a habit)

The next night confirmed my suspicions. I didn't have any work to keep me busy, so I read all night about politics, quantum physics, evolution theory and various comic books I found in an old box relating to my youth. Usually, reading would put people to sleep, but c'mon, Spider-man is too exciting to put down.

Every night was the same. I believe I began to experience microsleeping during classes. On the fourth night or so, ironically, I started researching into the subject of insomnia after I had no one to talk to on msn. Interesting stuff, it is.

My friends, naturally, were worried about me. I was more upset that there was no one to talk to on my msn at 4:00 in the morning, cept the occasional person who just came back from work.

Friday came, last week, hallelujah! I was able to squeeze in a few hours.

Then, I wasn't able to get to sleep again for the next week. Ooh, my hopes were crushed.

I may have fallen asleep during a band rehearsal, although I'm still unsure of it considering the circumstances. I may have even just imagined it. I probably had some sleep somewhere, but I don't remember. I'll assume I have, otherwise I'd probably be seriously unwell right now.These last couple weeks have been a blur.

The hallucinations (that I was aware of) came to me about a week into this crazy marathon, I'm still unsure about exactly when. It was a quiet, work period, occasional small talk, and I suddenly yelled "What? I don't understand this, professor, where does the point lie in a homosexual spider showing off in a circus tent?!" If you ever thought you heard a room suddenly go quiet, you may be wrong. I heard the breathing of the student a row away from me. I still wonder how I was able to come up with something as obscure as that.

Last night was the first night I was able to get 5+ hours of sleep, hopefully I'll be that lucky tonight as well. I'm waiting for the moment where I begin to mumble incoherently, consistently. My grammar has obviously been affected to a point already. Crazy.

I'm not extremely worried about my lack of sleep, it gives me more time to read and learn about stuff, including the new superhero suits featured in more recent issues... I mean, more time to read things like 'War and Peace'.

[/speech]

Hey I was wondering, do you guys know of anything I can eat or drink that will allow me to stay awake for 19 hours a day. I want to only get 5 hours of sleep and stay awake for 19 hours. For some reason I get really sleepy.

I wonder why you were getting sleepy...:rolleyes:</sarcasm>

are you wanting to do this constantly or just for a week or so.

if its constant its VERY VERY dangerous, your body is not designed to cope with 5 hours sleep a day for prolonged periods. you could maybe take it for up to 3 weeks, maybe even a month, but eventually your going to have a mental breakdown. temporary insanity is a definate and not the fun kind either.

i don't recommend this at all.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I suppose it was 70 odd hours when I was younger. I go 38 hours sometimes, twice in the past 30 days, it's really not that hard if you have some reason for staying awake. The hard part is between 2 and 4 am, as your body expects sleep around then. So long as you keep up you’re energy levels, and are moving around, your going to be fine. In the US marines, they make them go 6 days without sleep in hell week (so they say).

It's something you have to get used to doing, otherwise it throws out your body clock. I can exist on 3 hours every 48 for a week or so, but I become really mechanical after a while and constantly feel sick.

Every two days you get 4 hours and that's navy seals not marines.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly 2 months about 4 times, and normally i stay awake for 2 days then sleep for 4 hours. And of the 2 month times i remember every single second clearly. I make friends online on the other side of the world, that way, there's always someone on msn lol. The "official" record for not sleeping is about 10 days i think, but a man called Thai Ngoc apparently hasn't slept for 30 years which i'm not sure about. But i don't think we actually need sleep to survive, sure it'll majorly screw us up but i don't think we need it. Because there is a disease called "fatal insomnia" where the affected don't sleep until they die, but recently it was found it wasn't the lack of sleep that killed them it was plaque building up in their brain, also the disease is similiar to mad cow disease.

• 1 month later...