Science Fiction

-Demosthenes-

Anyone here read Red Mars? Excellent book.

i started it and then i stopped for about a year, then i started where i'd left off and i stopped again. It doesn't catch me. It's just kinda...weird. I think i stopped at part three, whatever chapter was after the psychiatrist? went to the greenhouse or w/e and that little ceromy thing happened....stra

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if it might be. The other one was Locke wasn't it?

I read the "shadow" series not long ago, about Bean, which was interesting. A rather odd approach to a SF series, to re-do the entire first novel from the perspective of a different character going through the same events. Strange, but it seemed to work really well.

I'm not a big fan of the latter books in either series, but I do think Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are classics.

James P. Hogan: "The Giants" Trilogy. A good solid story, it opens in 2027 with a body found on the moon. The body is Homo Sapiens but carbon dating puts his age at 50,000 years ago. Who was he and how did he get there?

Alternative Histories by Harry Turtledove. His Invasion and Colonization series. An alien race invades at the height of WW 2. The interaction and characterizations are interesting. As there are a number of "central" characters, the writing style may seem too disjointed for some though.

"The Anchient Future" Series from Australian Author Traci Harding. Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Historical/Philosophical. The only fiction series I've ever seen with a two page bibliography. :)

Anything by Spider Robinson, but I'd open with "Callahan's Crosstime Saloon".

For a political science type, Heinlein's original "Starship Troopers". No, not the bloody movie.

I would also suggest H. Beam Piper, "Federation" Series.

"Way Station" by Clifford D. Simak.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...