Science Fiction

-Demosthenes-

Well the series is not finished yet. There are three books out so far.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) - 864 pages

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book 2) - 1040 pages

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) - 1216 pages

Interesting trend.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I was afraid of. I started reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series under the recomendation of a friend. I'm on #4 out of 7. They've gone from 150 or so up to #4 which is 600-and-some. I don't think I'll have time to read that series, at least not until next summer when I have more time. Any projection on how many there will be?

Well the series is not finished yet. There are three books out so far.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire' date=' Book 1) - 864 pages

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Fire and Ice, Book 2) - 1040 pages

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) - 1216 pages

Interesting trend.[/quote']A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) will be out soon. Don't know how many pages. Don't care. Will devour greedily.

As for those of you (only a handful, thankfully) who seem outraged that I continue to collect toy knights, read books by other people, travel, teach, speak, and make appearances (as evidenced by my website)... sorry, but I have a life beyond A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. You should get one too.

That's great. I like this guy already. But if that's the case, maybe it's best to wait until he has most or all of the books out because I don't really like waiting.

What's pastwatch? You might not like memory of earth because its all metaphor of a religious book' date=' Cause Orson is a Mormon (a sect of christianity, tho several other denominations reject it as being christian at all). He does a good job of not being a religious retard, really though true Mormonism is perfectly accepting of science, just most mormon zealots don't understand it it. At least one of our Prophets (thats what we call the leader of our church) admitted to believing in evolution and all. Oh yeah, i am also a Mormon by birth. Currently i'm heading in the direction of Hinduism though, not that i reject my birth religion, for theres many concepts of it I deeply believe, more i'm just extending my spiritual journey, a, thing.

[/quote']

Oh yes, it's based on the Book of Mormon, that's why I didn't like it. I thought that it was a little sacreligious to write a book with about the story line as the Book of Mormon, which is the religous book of my religion. Could he not come up with a story of his own? It was like exactly the same stories in order, just with different names and worded differently.

I recommend: Childhood's End by Arther C Clarke

Startide Rising by David Brin

The magician/Apprentice series by Raymond E Fiest

The Ring by David Baxtor (hardcore scifi)

The Hichhiker's Guide to the universe by douglas Adams

The wheel of Time series by Robert Jordon (up to like 11 books now though)

I forgot to add one of the best: Dune by Frank Herbert

Oh yeah, those are great picks as well. I'm reading Jordan's New Spring right now, the prequel to the Wheel of Time series. Love those characters but I really hated the tenth in the series.

SPOILER!!!! Why wasn't everyone happier that the taint was cleansed from saidin?

I just finished The hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and it was hilarious. I just ordered the second book in the series from Amazon. I think next year there is supposed to be a remake of the movie coming out.

You can see a trailer here but it doesn’t reveal much.

I think next year there is supposed to be a remake of the movie coming out.

Remake? There has to be an original movie before there can be a remake. It has been made into a very nice radio series and a rather naff TV series, but never a movie (until now).

I think next year there is supposed to be a remake of the movie coming out.
Try to read them all (5 total, I think, not counting Salmon of Doubt, which is a compilation of tidbits stuck in his computer and edited after his death) before the movie comes out (it's the first time it's been a movie, btw; the BBC did it as a series many years back). I'm skeptical about the movie since so much of Douglas Adam's wit is in his fabulous wordsmithery. It's the stuff between the dialogue that will be missed the most.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only got Green Mars and The Martians, and I can't start there, so I'll have to wait until our shop gets Red Mars and Blue Mars in stock. :( I hear that it's the best novel relating to the teraforming of Mars ever written though, or at least that's what Arthur C. Clarke is quoted to have said.