Multiple Personality Disorder

coquina

Is it for real? :confused:

The thread about would you still be "you" if your memory was lost made me think about this.

From what I've read, this disorder occurs rarely to people who are suffering from severe abuse or psychological stress.

I wonder if PET scans, EEG's, and polygraphs show the same results regardless of the personality that is currently being manifested.

I've never quite believed in this stuff. It is nice for movies and so but i have difficulty believing that it could exist, though i am far from an expert in this field :)

Probably the EEG and all this stuff would show the same thing regardless of whatever personality is manifested. I guess that this sort of evidence would have otherwise been made known to the large public already dont you think ?

Is there someone that beliefs this stuff actually exists and can argument why ?

Or someone that can argument why psy's and stuff talk of this ?

Mandrake

Personally, I think that the mental conditions of many of these patients needs to be reviewed by clinical pychiatrists and theoretical physicists due to the fact that their condition may be a result of powerful neurophysical frequencies shared by us and our parallel universe dopplegangers.

Imagine if you were stuck in the body of one of your doppleganger and could not get out. Their counterpart in the other universes may behave the way that the patient is currently showing under observation.

Head trauma, psychological stress/trauma can cause this mental shift.

Therefore, the question is: How do we get those patients back mentally? And doping them up with drugs without their consent is not one of them. To you clinical psychiatrists at mental wards, you must began to think outside the box. You will be saving many lives. Just a thought.

Drugs can work however. Chlorpromazine was introduced in the 1950's and resulted in the deinstitutionalization of thousands of patients. These weren't necessarily diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. Supposedly it is a true disorder, however its diagnosis is based upon fairly subjective criteria (DSM IV manual).

The current drugs available to treat psychosis usually work by modulating neurotransmisison within the brain. This is a start in treating patients, however it's nearly impossible to determine how the brain works. (think of consciousness in general, it's an extremely complex phenomena). Thus, it's difficult to begin thinking outside the box, when the foundations (basic brain function) for thinking "in the box" aren't even laid.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Evenstar

Hi, I'm new to these forums, but this thread caught my attention, because I actually have been diagnosed as having MPD. So I personally know that MPD is real.

And I have done a great deal of research on MPD and DID. Although I don't know of any studies which have used PET scans, I do know of one that used EEG: Swinburne Study

There are a number of physiological differences that have been found between personalities- including measures of GSR and EEG. I know of one study, with a single patient, showing changes in the brain before ad after switching personalities using fMRI.

[i can give the reference if anyone wants it...I dont know of a internet site with the info.]