Capuchin vs Chimp Intelligence

Proteus

Some capuchins go through great lengths to obtain the kernel from certain nuts, first peeling, the drying, and finally cracking them open with a rock and anvil (BBC Life: Life's Challenges), I was therefore wondering if chimps are really the most intelligent primates, or if we're just biassed because they're our closest genetic relatives.

Some capuchins go through great lengths to obtain the kernel from certain nuts, first peeling, the drying, and finally cracking them open with a rock and anvil (BBC Life: Life's Challenges),

Interesting. I would not have thought animals would have the patience/attention span to do this.

I was therefore wondering if chimps are really the most intelligent primates, or if we're just biassed because they're our closest genetic relatives.

I think depending on how you measure intelligence, humans might not be the most intelligent. Really what makes us special is not just our intelligence, but other attributes: society, communication, abstract thought, ability to create/use technology.

I was therefore wondering if chimps are really the most intelligent primates.

I know that I'm biased, but I still think that humans are the most intelligent primates, insofar as comparing species' intelligence is meaningful.

I thought humans belonged to a separate order. Apparently simians is the correct term for apes and monkeys collectively.

Humans are apes. We're in the same family as chimps, gorillas, and orangutans.

human classification:

Order: primates

suborder: Haplorhinni

infraorder: Simiiformes (the "simians")

parvorder: Catarrhini

superfamily: Hominoidea (the "apes")

family: Hominidae (the "great apes")

subfamily: Homininae (humans, gorillas, and chimps)

tribe: Hominini (humans and chimps)

genus: homo (humans, and some extinct relatives)

species: sapiens (just us!)

Edited by Sisyphus