SFN Logo Contest Poll

Which logo do you like best? (See post for options)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which logo do you like best? (See post for options)

• Biohazard
    • SFN Integral
    • The Brain
    • Exponentially Awesome
    • Supernova

Choose your favorite logo of those submitted in the SFN Logo Contest! The winning logo will be used when we make the transition to new forum software in the coming months, and will be featured on upcoming SFN merchandise!

Note that these images don't necessarily reflect the final color or layout -- the large images will of course be adjusted to fit in the page, and so on. We may tweak the winning logo to best fit in SFN after it's selected, of course.

Choice 1: Biohazard

sfn-biohazard1.jpg

Choice 2: SFN Integral

sfn-integral-w-orbitals-nodots.jpg

Choice 3: The Brain

SFNlogoonpagecontoured.jpg

Choice 4: Exponentially Awesome

sfequaln1.jpg

Choice 5: Supernova

supernova2.jpg

(Hope I didn't miss any!)

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat

Take into account that the vote now is more about the direction to go. Whatever logo we pick, we will need to tweak a bit, so if you like a style but dislike a specific issue in the logo, you can still vote for it and raise the issue later.

We just need to pick a direction now so we're more focused in designing a new logo.

~moo

Take into account that the vote now is more about the direction to go. Whatever logo we pick, we will need to tweak a bit, so if you like a style but dislike a specific issue in the logo, you can still vote for it and raise the issue later.

We just need to pick a direction now so we're more focused in designing a new logo.

~moo

Haha so you decided to use the one with the light glow or did that happen by accident?

supernova2.jpg

I might like the Janus logo most of all, and T-shirts etc could show the electrons in mid-orbit. But, yes, it would definitely turn us into zombies. :eek:

However, I voted for the Supernova because modern logos tend to be über-simple, and there's some sort of glow coming off the letters which somehow looks "galactic" (please enhance this somewhat, see example below), thus the two parts of the logo show the infinitesimal to the astronomical. Oh ... what does the red dot mean? :confused:

I think the Integral is cute, but if "FORUM" is blue, then the "f" should be too, instead of the "n" (consistency please! :D), and the whole thing seems a bit too "busy".

public_domain_astronomy_26.jpg

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I don't know what happened, but here's what I was thinking ...

The%20Orion%20Nebula%20(1920x1200).jpg

Haha so you decided to use the one with the light glow or did that happen by accident?

Semi accident. The point is that we're not voting for the final logo, we're voting for the direction we should take next. We've been all over the place in terms of suggestiosn -- going from style A to style B instead of being a bit more focused.

After this vote we can take a single logo and tweak it again -- add nebulas, effects, remove effects, rotate, cram, whatever.

So, peeps, choose for your desired style even if you think there are problems with it -- we can still fix problems after.

I have to say, by far, the coolest t-shirt would be the biohazard. It's one I would wear without feeling like a pretentious intellect. It doesn't say, "look at me, I'm smarter than you." It's more of a declaration. "I like to take risks."

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd buy one :D

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Oh and by the way, I voted for the integral. But I guess that was pretty obviously going to be my choice :P

I have to say, by far, the coolest t-shirt would be the biohazard. It's one I would wear without feeling like a pretentious intellect. It doesn't say, "look at me, I'm smarter than you." It's more of a declaration. "I like to take risks."

I agree, I think the bio-hazard would be the best out of all the choices on a t-shirt. I think as a website logo, the text should be to right the side, not the bottom.

You know, now that I think about it, even though I voted for mine, I have come to the conclusion that I like the biohazard the most. :confused:

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
I agree, I think the bio-hazard would be the best out of all the choices on a t-shirt. I think as a website logo, the text should be to right the side, not the bottom.

You know, now that I think about it, even though I voted for mine, I have come to the conclusion that I like the biohazard the most. :confused:

I mean really, the biohazard logo, is just balls to the wall awesome.

I mean really, the biohazard logo, is just balls to the wall awesome.

Is balls to the wall really that awesome? It sounds painful, or at least uncomfortable and socially awkward, especially if the wall is stuccoed.

I voted SFN integral even though it does look busy.

However, if Janus' logo were in the poll, I'd switch to that in a heartbeat. Its effect and simplicity is really quite awesome.

Why can't second place go on the shirt? Only if Janus won. And/or if her's did, it can go on the back of shirt (without animation).

Is balls to the wall really that awesome? It sounds painful, or at least uncomfortable and socially awkward, especially if the wall is stuccoed.

Balls to the wall can be somewhat awesome as long as you aren't too hasty at getting to the wall.

If integral would delete the brackets and place the n in superscript it would get my vote (uncluttered and easy to print on a T-shirt).

Okay, again, we can do that but that would mean we need to focus on the integral. And that suggestion is doable, I can try and make it when I get back home, see how it looks like.

But the problem is that we started scattering -- we tried 5 different paths at the same time, then went back, and forth, and back. This vote is just to try and get us to focus on a general direction.

Vote for what you think is the *DIRECTION* we need to take, guys, then we can be focused on the changes that we can take.

To me, the integral has too many elements, although it's a good direction to go for further attempts (pare down, lose the brackets, separate some of the elements, etc). The biohazard, while cool, is ultimately not very friendly or inviting to a discussion forum. I love the supernova for its animation and simplicity (difficult to get both), and if a static version can be done for the T-shirts that still implies the orbital motion, that would be my vote.

That would definitely be my choice unless the brain/golden spiral relationship is actually scientific
AFAIK, the brain itself isn't proportioned according to the golden mean, but they have done some MRI scans of brains viewing images using various proportions and the ones with those close to the golden mean drew more positive responses.