The art of learning.

Unite17

This is not for people who, don't know what the want to do, or learn.

This for people like me, ones who know what they want to be, or learn but, are unsure when it comes to learning it.

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I want to be a neurosurgeon, when I am older, but I am unsure on how to prepare for this job. Do I learn biology, micro-biology, neurology for anatomy. I know this might be hard to answers since, you don't no me but, hopefully someone can help.

I'm no expert, but I know that medicine has involved increasing amounts of high-technology due to both the technology physicians use in their work and the technology that produces the imagery used by physicians. For example, neurosurgeons treat some patients with radiation therapy and radiosurgery, and they use imagery produced by CAT scans, MRIs etc. So, more med students have opted to take engineering as their pre-med. For me, the successful physician is someone who doesn't simply punch in some magnitudes, coordinates, etc into an instrument, but someone who knows exactly what the numbers mean and who knows the intricacies of the instrument itself.

You may need very good 3-D/spatial thinking when working on the brain without opening the patient's skull.

All of this is, of course, in addition to focusing on (no pun intended) the object of your work, neurons and other cells. Best wishes.

You need to study, memorize, recall, and apply ideas.

You need to constantly study.

You will be dealing with a lot of schooling.

As such, you will need to maintain focus and the ability to prepare and take exams.

You will need to do well on exams all of the time.

That is the worst and hardest part of the process.

In order to do well, you need to seek out help from tutors (ask for pointers in studying), find people who've taken the class already and ask for help, and be able to quickly figure out your weak points in order to make them strong.

In terms of those classes, yes, all of those classes would help you.

But that's just the material.

Medical schools expect good grades.

Worry about the grades, but do care and love learning the materials.

Stay mature, stay calm, and stay serious.

Also, attempt to plan out how you will go about studying and attempt to quickly change for the better when problems come about.

Also, you'll come to understand that the educational system includes a lot of short-term memorization and regurgitation. Little of it is actually learning. You learn to quickly memorize something and apply it. You forget it later. Whatever stays could be considered learned. That's my opinion on it.

Edited by Genecks