Getting Banned

People here at SFN, thus the title? You can't unless you somehow know where they live. Unless you mean "hurt their feelings until they leave the forum". Then you wouldn't really be foodchain anymore, and I'd have no problem banning you. ;)

People in your off-screen life? If you do, you'll possibly face more than banishment. :-(

Sometimes I really, really, just want to seriously hurt some people to the point of non existence.

Yeah, life is full of that.

The best thing to do is attempt to make friends with people rather than enemies. And wisely choose your friends and enemies.

I try not to hold malice against people, as such I will attempt to turn my enemies into my friends. Otherwise, I will presuppose them as friends until later deciding to keep them as enemies. You can learn a lot from enemies. In general, be a friend to people (even if you hate it) and make friends with people. These actions sometimes work to bring peace in life.

Also, attempt to focus on things other than people. I won't deny that there are a lot of ignorant people in the world.

The amount of such people is going to increase in the future as resources and access to a strong education decrease.

Then again, having enemies can make life much less dull.

Edited by Genecks

If SFN had a stricter admissions policy it would be hampered in its ability to spread the ethos of scientific thought to the ones that require it (not just the ones that already have it), which is a noble one IMO, but the price it pays is a few unavoidable idiots and a bit more chaff. I'm assuming it is some posters here that annoy you to a pathological degree.

You can wholly focus on the negative side or the positive side. They are both there in equal measure....as it is in your non-cyber life...it's your choice what you look at.

Do what you would do in real life...ignore them. Modify your browsing experience to exclude them.

My personal ethos: Keep your friends close...but keep your enemies closer.

I have a hard time these days deciding if someone is either trolling or attempting to become a more critical inquirer and thinking on SFN these days. Once in a while I'll actually read a thread in the speculation board; sometimes we got mad scientists with absurd theories (but I'd still like to see why there is such a large post count and the mods/experts have taken the time to be more critical about their rebuttals). I wouldn't say the theories are legitimate, but they seem worth arguing. Then again, I think some of the kewlish trolls can be turned around and made into serious scientists. I was a bit of a kewlish troll many years ago.

Trust me. SFN is pretty relaxed about its banning procedure. Well, the majority of the mods/admins anyway... I've seen so much worse, though. I've seen worse on other websites. But those sites often had people discussing dangerous topics along with dangerous materials, as such they would ban people because they either thought the persons were trolling, or the persons didn't live up to the forum's standards. The general rule was be quiet, be educated, or talk and get banned.

In terms of social psychology, people tend to outcast and ostracize those whom don't attempt to make an effort in the group nor attempt to assimilate with the thoughts of the group.

It kind of reminds me of the fact that I got kicked out of the University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate Neurobiology Journal Club the past few months. Reason? I don't know; I stayed quiet and only make positive critiques of the research done by the graduate students. Also, I'd say what I liked about their presentation. I think it was the fact that other undergraduates started coming into the club and talking out of line... It could have been about sitting space, too.

Edited by Genecks